• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

$40 Raspberry PI computer and ham radio

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
Earlier this year I heard about the new Raspberry PI $40 PC that runs Linux and was instantly intrigued. For the uninitiated, the Raspberry PI is a little credit card sized computer board that contains an SD card slot (for storage), two USB ports, an HDMI port, GPIO, ethernet port, and sound card I/O port with 512KB of ram. It was originally developed as an inexpensive way to teach school kids about computers, but it has turned into a hit with the tech crowd!

I received my Raspberry PI this week and have been busy refreshing my Linux skills. There are a few obvious use cases for this little PC that other hams have already explored, including a dedicated APRS digipeater/igate and a DSTAR repeater controller/IRCDBB gateway. I've even read about one case where someone has used it as the panadapter interface for the Elecraft KX3!

I plan on trying it out as a DSTAR hotspot or repeater controller first, however I'm open to ideas that others might have. If you have an extra $40 to spend on something completely experimental, you can buy the Raspberry PI from various online companies including newark.com or on ebay: Raspberry Pi Model B Uncased 512MB Immediate SHIP | eBay

Is there a way to use these as a generic (non-D*) repeater controller?

Assuming there is linux software available, you should be able to compile it on the PI. It might take a while, but it should be doable. The PI has USB ports and a GPIO that you should be use for the interface. It might take some engineering, but it certainly should be doable.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.