• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

#40 Shop Talk - Wafer switch cleaning tips

Radio Tech

Radio Operator
Sep 9, 2008
North Carolina
www.gokarters.com
Last video posting for a while guys. Don't want to be boring folks and don't want my videos to be the only thing I post here. Those that follow can find them on my YouTube channel.
Thanks for watching.

In this video we look at several types of wafer switches. We then look at a method I use to clean these switches and bring them back to life. These switches are in many types of equipment. Lets look at what we can do to repair these.

Another good video Buddy. A lot of folks have no idea how to properly maintain ceramic RF switches. A friend of mine had a silver plated ceramic RF switch very similar to the one in your video and he used 800 or 1000 grit wet sandpaper to burnish the contacts to get rid of the oxidization. The problem was he was a little too aggressive with it and completely removed the silver plating in several places taking it right down to the brass base metal. This lead to even more problems with poor contacts and arcing until eventually the switch self destructed in a flash of sparks. I have access to some metal cleaning chemicals at work that I use (we use a LOT of stainless steel, bronze/brass, and aluminum) but may look into the salt/vinegar since the stuff from work is not exactly skin friendly. LOL

Good video!
Recently I picked up a pretty wasted looking crystal switch for a DX60B. The rig it came from was in a fire from what I could tell. I took it apart, soaked it in vinegar and used a soft toothbrush on it. I was surprised it came out as well as it did. Things are often not as bad as they seem!
Vinegar on a cotton swab is also good for removing battery corrosion from battery compartments.
burnt.jpg

IMG_20160103_195522.jpg

Reactions: 2RT307
Good video thanks for posting !

Thanks for watching. :)

Another good video Buddy. A lot of folks have no idea how to properly maintain ceramic RF switches. A friend of mine had a silver plated ceramic RF switch very similar to the one in your video and he used 800 or 1000 grit wet sandpaper to burnish the contacts to get rid of the oxidization. The problem was he was a little too aggressive with it and completely removed the silver plating in several places taking it right down to the brass base metal. This lead to even more problems with poor contacts and arcing until eventually the switch self destructed in a flash of sparks. I have access to some metal cleaning chemicals at work that I use (we use a LOT of stainless steel, bronze/brass, and aluminum) but may look into the salt/vinegar since the stuff from work is not exactly skin friendly. LOL

Thanks CK.
I hate it when some ones brings a device in where they have used a file or sand paper to clean contacts. Makes me cringe.

Sanded the sliver coating right off eh? Shows how uneducated folks are. My job is try and spread the information around so folks will see there is a better way to do things.

Nothing wrong with chemicals to do this. Other than cost and health risk, there is some good stuff out there. Then you have to dispose of it.

Good thing about the solution I used in the video. It is harmless and easy to get rid of, plus it only cost pennies. And you saw how good of a job it did. I showed my brother just today how to clean some old pennies he found metal detecting. Made them look almost new.

Was thinking about limiting my video postings on websites. Since I started this channel it seems I am always busy and really limits my time to just get on forums and post other stuff. I get hundreds of messages a week now and it takes a lot of time.
Don't want folks to think I am only here to promote my YouTube channel.

Good video!
Recently I picked up a pretty wasted looking crystal switch for a DX60B. The rig it came from was in a fire from what I could tell. I took it apart, soaked it in vinegar and used a soft toothbrush on it. I was surprised it came out as well as it did. Things are often not as bad as they seem!
Vinegar on a cotton swab is also good for removing battery corrosion from battery compartments.
View attachment 17840

View attachment 17841

Thanks and good deal. Now add a little salt to that vinegar and that will give it a chemical reaction. Does the scrubbing for you.
Thanks for sharing, switch looks good.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.