• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

43 ohms ?

ROC1

Apr 5, 2008
Both my Wilson 5000 and my Aluminum Fighting Stick show very low SWR and 50 ohms on my truck... I also have a 7ft Skipshooter that shows 1.2 SWR on 20 with 1.3 on 1 and 40 but it's showing a 43 ohm load on the analyzer...

This antenna has a little more forward gain (top loaded) than the fighitng stick in a one hot one grounded setup so I'd like to run it for skip but I'm a little concerned about the match...

Is there anything that can be done to improve the match or am I just screwed???

I wouldn't worry about that situation. 43 ohms is not that far off and any SWR up to 1:5 is considered negligible.

interview.gif

Reactions: freecell
Both my Wilson 5000 and my Aluminum Fighting Stick show very low SWR and 50 ohms on my truck... I also have a 7ft Skipshooter that shows 1.2 SWR on 20 with 1.3 on 1 and 40 but it's showing a 43 ohm load on the analyzer...

This antenna has a little more forward gain (top loaded) than the fighitng stick in a one hot one grounded setup so I'd like to run it for skip but I'm a little concerned about the match...

Is there anything that can be done to improve the match or am I just screwed???
shunt

That 43 ohms equates to about a 1.16:1 SWR. I think I'd be real happy with that.
- 'Doc

This may be too simplistic... but if I understand what you have said here, that .16 differential would be on top of the current 1.2/1.3 that it is currently showing. So the true SWR adjusted for the difference in ohms whould be 1.46, or about 1.5 give or take... is that correct?

Shunts... just learned something new. I'm not sure shopping my fiberglass antenna in two peices to attempt it is something I want to do right now, but it was interesting to research it a little...

Doc.. I may be confusing myself here. Is the 1.16 swr a recalculation of the original SWR figure because the ohm load is lower? :headbang

50 divided by 43 = 1.16.

Worry, or get on the air and have fun. Your choice.

There is a difference between being worried and wanting to understand... I'm on the air a lot, probably more than the locals care for... (y)

How does this .16 factor into the current SWR reading? is it an add? What if the relationship had bee 58 ohms, would we be reducing the SWR by .86 (that doesn't make sense...)

I guess I misunderstood the shunt; the only examples I could find showed the antenna or the wire being "cut" and then run through a coil; seems like that would be difficult on a fibergalss shaft that is wire wound and covered in plastic...

ROC1,

Hi there. Last time. An SWR of less than 1:5:1 is considered to be negligible. No effect. No harm. You're okay. Forget it. Move on. Thank yew

ROC1,

Hi there. Last time. An SWR of less than 1:5:1 is considered to be negligible. No effect. No harm. You're okay. Forget it. Move on. Thank yew

Either answer the question or don't respond... you obviously think you know what you're talking about and apparantly enjoy typing your pointless answers... An SWR of 1:5 in my setup is NOT negligible nor acceptable; I wasn't asking for your opinion on whether or not the SWR was acceptable...

As I've stated before; I want to know and UNDERSTAND the relationship; if you can't answer the question, again, for the last time, DON'T EFFEN RESPOND... This has nothing to do with you and your big head and I'm not in the habbit of just "taking somebody's word that it's all okay" OK????

Get over yourself...

Okay fine pal. You many continue with your feckless worrying and can pull your hair out over your 43 ohms and your less than 1:5 SWR. I'll look the other way. It ain't no coax off my back.

I get it... you were that kid who could never stop talking but never had anything worth saying.

Being top loaded, and using a 2nd grounded antenna, maybe the spacing between the 2 antennas is what's causing it. Maybe it's the heigth. Try adding a spacer (spring) to the skipshooter, and see how it affects your swr, and go from there.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.