• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

5-pin DIN to 4-pin Cobra mic socket.

Red - TX
BLK - RX
WHT - Audio
Shield - Shield

Pretty much what you had in this picture, which is the one that helped me realize I used a wrong pin position:

https://www.worldwidedx.com/attachments/trc-465micwiringjack-png.36515/

I had yellow in the wire I used, not blue, but I didn't use it anyway.

I do have to ask though, I know it isn't a favorite with many here, but for echo, I tried putting it in place of the white wire, from socket to board, and I got the same horn again. There is a Yellow (?) wire from the board to the front switch panel board, and then I want to say a black and a white wire to the main board. Does the echo have to go after the board to before the main board? An idea which is the audio wire - yellow, blk, wht?

It may be orange, but I am R/G colorblind, and some shades of yellows and oranges are the same to me, I don't see the red tinge in the orange..

Reactions: tecnicoloco
Ah ok!

Well, since I don't have a TRC-465 (GASP! OH NO!) but I do have its Brother...

The TRC-453
upload_2020-4-22_20-35-36.png
Mic Socket - showing Yellow wire heading off of Pin 3 to CB-PA switch in front panel - tucked under Ribbon wire loom / cable

Closer look showing "socket" Pin 3 wire...
upload_2020-4-22_20-55-30.png
On the LEFT side of the socket in te Black and White - With Black as Foil Ground and White as audio .

You can try to use the Echo, but it is White - Audio from Mic Socket - to Input of Echo.

In this Photo - Mic Jack Board has Black White wire running off - down to the Main PCB - White Wire to INSIDE away from Side Panel - ok? White is closer to the center - Black follows outside towards Side panel.
upload_2020-4-22_21-2-33.png

To Turn On echo, you'll need a good spot to find 8V ON - that would be along the Power Rail - Locate Audio Chip and 8V 7808 Regulator - there is a jumper that goes across - JV17...

upload_2020-4-22_21-6-54.png

Locate PLL Chip - 8 Volt TX Light to turn on ECHO (Sense wire not its POWER wire)

Locate 2 jumpers by PLL - use 2nd Jumper in - as shown - supplies 8V TX to toggle Echo
upload_2020-4-22_21-17-10.png

If you try to install Echo, remember to pay attention to Routing of Wiring and Layout.
upload_2020-4-23_10-52-45.png

Last edited:
OK, awesome. I was looking at the picture where there is handwritten numbers, trying to trace the audio ckt from the mic board, and it looked like the white was the one I wanted, but wanted to make sure.

This is the Workman BB-3Tornade echo board. It uses 12V, says in directions not to use 9V, it will not work. I tapped into the power switch, and soldered to the large box labeled FL1.

Still makes the noise. Going to skip install on this one.

Reactions: tecnicoloco
Has any of the older generation cb,ers in this ever witnessed or participated in a mic wireing drag race or contest whatever it was called back then but 3 guys would get together and one of them would be the judge and timer while the other 2 guys with radios in front of them and a specific mic in they hand that was the same exact mic and radio most of the time, these 2 guys would race to see who could get the mic wired up and working correctly first would win the race.
Back in the hallers of appalachia and many moons ago i have witnessed and participated in hundreds of mic wireing races and once the basic formula for microphones and transceivers is learned properly will usually lead to a moment of clarity that some of these guys including myself had expierianced after so many mic wireing races are won the clarity is wisdom.
This wisdom is when i realized that all transceivers of all shapes and sizes and the microphones they use all share the very same basic aspects of mics on transceivers in some form or fashion they all the same so with all this i just shared with this group has enabled me to share one more thing about me that very few people are aware of but... With complete confidence i can say that i can wire up any mic to any radio in a correct working order in 5 minutes.
No jokes about this skill i just explained how i learned to do it and i know i can do it because every now and then i still do it.
Any mic to any radio without any paperwork no schematics no instructions or directions of any type or influenced is not necessary nor ever used because the formula is all i need to remember that enables me to wire up any mic to any radio in 5 minutes. True story every lame ass word if it true

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Do any of you gentlmen in this group share this same skill with me or atleast knows about the formula i formentioned also enabling them to wire any mic to any radio in any time at all ?...
Thats the wisdom part but the speed takes alot of practice.
Ole squints here said it, Any mic to any radio in 5 minutes

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.