• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

50 watt mod? Gimmie the straight scoop...

Nomadradio:

You hit the nail on the head. Let the customer hear his radio before he leaves. I keep a radio set up in my waiting area for that very purpose. It makes a dramatic difference in customer confidence, and gets alot more repeat business. Most customers definitely appreciate being able to hear what they will sound like BEFORE paying.

Ok I see what your saying-- Thanks for taking the time to answer
BTW what was it like working with Bill Good? How many years did you work with him?
I actually just found out you worked with him-- I heard there was someone named Justin working with him years ago begore he passed on but I never put 2 and 2 together

I'm very curious about whats done to the anti spiking diode--- some guys remove it all together-- I like to leave it in--- it doesn't sound lik eits removed in your case but it doesn't sound like its left stock either
I realise that you make money doing this and most likely don't want to say too much on a public forum--But if you can just let me know if that spiking diode is left intact stock, removed and jumped (which I don't think is the case) or if you are changing that diode
5817's ?
I also assume you are changing a bunch of electrolitics in that area?

I'm very interested in whats being done to this section to keep the negs down but if you choose not to answer the question I understand why-- you can't just give this type of info away

Thanks in advance

nomadradio said:
Only did about a dozen and a half of them. Out of those, a handful of units showed 50 Watts PEP or a bit more. We use Bird "A" elements for CB radios. Makes readings a bit stingy.

I have no doubt that if Justin looked deeper than I did, he could work out what separated the "45-Watt" radio from the "55-Watt" radio, and optimized his setup. A claim of 50 Watts is perfectly believable from my first-hand experience. I would also predict that his "50-Watt" claim is what he can expect from the average radio. Odds are that at least half the units he does this to will deliver a little more.

I've also seen Sean's radios from Chicago. He was doing 50 watt 29s years ago, back in the 90s. Although his didnt look very good on the scope, (they had a peak on top of the peak), fed through a low pass filter they produced > 45 watts PEP all the time.

I've also seen them move a 5000 watt slug, in a mobile, on the avg side. Not too many single final radios can budge a 5K slug, with no reflected.

--Toll_Free

Re: 50 watts

ButtFuzz said:
Why don't 'we' do this:

Let's get one of these '50 watt' Cobras and send it off to a qualified and 'neutral' 3rd party for thorough analysis and commentary? We could then read the results and make the decisions for ourselves. We wouldn't necessarily have to agree or disagree with the results presented, but it would give us a look from someone not trying to protect 'their work'.

This 3rd party would be skilled enough to tell us things such as why (and how) the radio is 'making' as much power as it does, and how the radio 'looks' on the scope from his/her perspective. (etc., etc., etc.)

If we choose to send the radio out for analysis, I would choose someone like Lou Franklin. Lou is a CB repair guy, a Ham and also a helluva nice guy. He also writes in a style that is clear and easy to understand, pointing out good stuff and bullpuckeys.

If I made claims of a '50 watt', 'clean-signal' Cobra, then I certainly wouldn't mind the hassle or financials of sending one of my radios to a 'pro' to put an end to the finger-pointing and claims. (This 'pro', or 'lab', however, cannot be a customer or your best friend Bob to keep things on a level playing field.)

If I was on the skeptic's side of the view, I would then accept the 3rd party's view and shut up, if shutting up was indicated by the analysis and commentary.

Or, alternatively, 'we' could simply agree to not agree and drop it.

If you need further assistance, or my personal view in this matter, please feel free to spam me at rfolden@mail.com. Everyone else does!

Great Idea, KWP on the CBtricks forum would be a painfully honest tester. All this babble is rump swabbery anyway. PEP numbers are crap, what do these 50 watt radios do RMS?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.