• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

50ft tilt crank up/tower w/pics

It could have been located by the owner and flagged or at least inform any workers of it's existence. That would be the first thing I'd notice going to a job site like that. Evidence of a old home that once was there but torn down and removed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 445
i think i understand a lil better now..just realized the 8ft top of the stand is where the tower pivits on..seems crazy that the hand crank with a smaller cable is for that as the winch has a thick 1/4 inch cable"even tho its only a 1500 lb winch" id think it would be better suited for the tilting of the tower.
i think i want the pad even bigger now.
the bottom plate is 2ftx2ft but i may make the stand even beefyer with another brace.
so the pad may end up"when time comes" 3 ft wide x 4 ft wide x 5ft deep..then it will be there my lifetime if i ever changed things down the road.
i also feel the top pipe on the tilt post is kinda small with a 1/2 inch pin when tilting but my buddy says its plety fine..bigger would have been better imo.
the tower will have to be 20 ft from the house,and 10 ft from my deck that has a true 2x4 x3/16 alum beam so if it ever fell maybe the beam will help break the fall,but prob not.
will be 75ft from the neigbors property and 100 ft from other property line,an plenty of room between the trees to tilt it down when needed.
i didnt make the dog get in the pics,she just has to be everywhere i am lol.
oh yeah the towers is 2-26ft sections,,welded from the factory at 21ft then they added a 5 ft piece,,makes sense to me as pipe is useually 21ft lengths,and it looks like its from the factory like this..if anyone can figure who made this let me no..dad says its a rohn but i cant find a rohn with 26ft sections anywhere on line.
heres some more pics.

Attachments

• tower 52ft 002.JPG
    tower 52ft 002.JPG
    157.8 KB · Views: 1,279
  • tower 52ft 004.JPG
    tower 52ft 004.JPG
    170.9 KB · Views: 772
  • tower 52ft 007.JPG
    tower 52ft 007.JPG
    175.8 KB · Views: 666
  • tower 52ft 014.JPG
    tower 52ft 014.JPG
    176.3 KB · Views: 691
  • tower 52ft 012.JPG
    tower 52ft 012.JPG
    181.8 KB · Views: 802
  • tower 52ft 009.JPG
    tower 52ft 009.JPG
    177.9 KB · Views: 711
  • tower 52ft 006.JPG
    tower 52ft 006.JPG
    177.6 KB · Views: 647
  • tower 52ft 011.JPG
    tower 52ft 011.JPG
    164.2 KB · Views: 711
it must be older or something as none of there specs match up in any area..
meaning my base is 7ft 6 inches tall to the top hinge..so that would mean
18ft 6 inches hangs off the other side of the hinge..

the main bottom tower is 10-1/2 inches wide from pipe to pipe and the pipe is 1 inch o.d x 1/8th wall..
no big deal tho just cant find the same exact specs in tube/pipe size,and the hinge lengths.
maybe it was shortened at some point..i could make a taller base so the weight wold be less on the other end but i will go with it like is first and see how it goes.

From looking at some Rohn fold-over towers I am beginning to wonder if your towers was modified by a previous owner or if you are missing some of it. From what I have seen of yours I can't figure out how it is both telescopic and tilt-over.

Here is a Rohn fold-over tower but it is a 55G which is much heavier than yours. Note how it folds over.

R-Fold_Over_Towers.jpg

Here is another Rohn fold-over. Notice the long back brace. Ignore the reference to a TiltPlate. It was in an ad for a product.

TiltOver100.jpg

i can tell by the top pic mine is def further off balance than that one. and will still work,but i been thinking i could use 2or4 - 4 inch pipe and change my bracket on the tower to be more centered ,but not centered..like 12 ft at the tilt point then it would have 17 ft hangin off the other end.plus the antenna.or 13ft/16ft tilt point makes sense too.

then should be much sturdyer with the 2 post,or even 4 posts that the tower folded into the center of them, say,7 ft deep with a 2/3 ft round hole,and weld my brackets on the 4 inch post to keep the tower secured like the base pad i have now..im thinking about it..thinking to much lol..

jerimia the boy in nj is pounding my radio with his pride dx300 and 1 250b,,sounds like he is next door at the moment.walking on everyone with it and doing a good polite job of it...it sucks not talking..

thanks wa8zyt..i have a cheaper thinner tube tower and the tubing is bigger around but real thin like a lot of cheaper towers.
this one is built good but the tube on main tower is 1 inch o.d and 1/8th inch thick..either way its seems to be built great and very very sturdy..when i get the extra cash it will be done right thanks to everyone here filling me in on everything..
i will post pics here when done,but may be a while..working on getting antenna up more today with cheezie push up sections for now..and got a ebay dipole to play with now that the rain let up a bit..j9

thought id drop in and say i have found my tower,and specs.its made in tampa fla..called a rbx50 ez-way tower..with the wonder ground post..
trying to decide if i want to go with this post they show,as i can make it very easy.
may weld a 6 ft post under the platform i have with it,or just make a 6 inch post w/out the stand i have..decisions decisions.
the guy"ham"down the river from me has the 60ft tower version with this post and said it has never moved a inch since he installed it,,so im back to thinking about getting this in the air.
heres the brochure.
http://www.kg4ojt.com/files/EZ-Way/EZ-WayBrochure.pdf
heres a guy taking his down in NH then he moved to fla..
RBX-50 Tower Take Down at K1YPP

Flashback to the past. Forgot all about the old E-Z way towers and their Wonder Posts. If you had the post it would have jogged the memory likly. Only heard of a few people that had them but tbose that did liked them. Just watch those windload specs. Tbey are onlu for 50mph. Most towers give specs for 70 and 80mph. Twenty or thirty mph increase reduces those numbers a lot. Make sure any post you put on it has the fins. That keeps it from cutting thru the soil as it wants to bend over.

Reactions: W4KVW
just realized where you were..i talked to 242 in the western tip of nova scotia a couple times on the cheap ebay dipole wire lol..that wire has really got me in gear and feeling better about dx,ing.
talkin with a few guys about taking the "ham"test in the near future also;)

The best thing you can possibly do is 'over build'! Always have more ability than is advertised! There's a limit on that 'over doing' thingy, but you never exceed what's required! Not a good way of expressing it, but it really does get close.
- 'Doc

(Psst - If you don't like that tower, send it to me, I'll use it!)

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.