• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

55 antenna

I talked to a guy at a keydown in NJ a few weeks ago that runs 55 antenna's (1 hot and 1 grounded) on his suburban. Then we got the talking about different makes of antenna's and he told me that he has tried just about every antenna on the market and that the 55 antenna performs the best.

He told me about an antenna experiment that he did with two 55's vs two fighting sticks. He said he was in South Jersey and the receiving station was North Jersey. I forget the exact mileage. Anyway, he said keyed 10kw bird through the sticks, got the report and then he keyed through the 55's and the report was the exact same. He told me to this day all he uses is 55's whether its on the line or shooting skip.

Just some food for thought, have a nice day. :D

double trouble owns the truck with the 55 gear in it. he lives near me here in jax fla. 55 builds all his products here in jax

that kinda funny right there
the guy says he tried just about every antenna on the market

i have been to a few break and talk to quite a few antenna builders
i have more antennas given to me to "try" out let everyone know what im talking on
but im gonna test the things first if it dont pass my tests then it goes in the shop corner.

i bought 3 55 antennas
they talk great recieve is great
the only downfall is where the stinger goes into the top of shaft
from the top of shaft down to where the coil is welded to the shaft gets hot
when i say hot i mean i key up for about 15 seconds unkey jump up on the back of suburban and its almost to warm to the touch

i also bought a predator 10k
also recieve is great transmit is great
also same test go around back feel of antenna from top to bottom and no heat
so im thinking with a build up of heat its doing something to the antenna to maintain the rf heat being radiated
tried all 3 of the 55s
all still get really hot.

switch back to the 10k and no heat
No im not stupid im not touching it when im keyed down
once when tuning a antenna i was on top with allan wrench in hand and other hand on stinger
with burb running
when mic fell off dash and hit the floorboard and hit me with a thousand bird watts
all i seen was white and then picking myself up off the front yard

anyway
after doing some mods to a 55 antenna i corrected the problem and now no more heat

in no way is this a pitch towards 10k
just giving my findings

Whoa! I bet that hurt...ouch! I found out I had a bad piece of coax a few weeks ago when I put my 16pil in my truck. I keyed the mic to check the power and the meter got me real good.

once when tuning a antenna i was on top with allan wrench in hand and other hand on stinger
with burb running
when mic fell off dash and hit the floorboard and hit me with a thousand bird watts
all i seen was white and then picking myself up off the front yard

I have both antennas and they both work very well. I think in my crude testing overall the 55 has a fuzz better ears and the 10K a fuzz better on transmit. I cant say which is best for keydowns but with my little Maghna Force 350 either antenna will make you happy and I could live with either. Both are made well but will give the edge to the 10K as far as build.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.