• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

88 low power output

ethomas

MudDuck
Nov 30, 2008
North MS
I have a 88 with Dual final. The radio would do about 50 watts and then it droped to 25. If it lost a driver or one final would it cause this? How do you check the finals? I installed a af power kit from road star and a m80. This happened about 3 weeks after the mods

I'm thinking the old dual 1969 powered radio's were 35 ish peak, maybe 40 if you really dialed one in. I would say something is wrong with this af power kit and and whatever mod an m80 is. Unless you are talking about a Davemade m80 amp.

If you did this yourself go back through the radio and see. Maybe some small part blew that can be fixed easy. Good luck.

M80 = 10 cents worth of parts sold at a huge profit for the seller. Usually a diode and resistor.

Lift the collector on each final and see which one does not change the output power (or makes very little difference) to tell if you have a final problem. On an older 88 you might check C165 (I think right number) close to the finals. If it is a disc cap replace it as they were prone to failure. If it is a silver mica you should be good to go.

BC

what leg is the collector?????
Lookiing at the transistor mounted and left to right pic 1 is base, pin 2 is the collector and pin 3 is the emitter and FIN 4 the back of the transistor is a collector also and it should not make contact to ground.

If you lift pin 1 and pin 2 then place the negative lead of your volt/ohm meter to pin 2 and the positive to pin 1 in the diode check mode it should show good and reversed it should show nothing.

Connect the negative lead to pin 3 and the positive lead to pin 1 and it should show a good diode check nothing to pin 2.

If it shows good in this order most likely your trasistors are good and you can move on.

If you replaced a 2sc1969 with and erf-2030 this will not work as they are different devices, one is a transistor and the other is a FET.

The FET is not a direct drop in replacement for a transistor and has to be fed bias voltage.

Ok so do i need to put the drive back in or have i just messed up the radio??????? Done what the kit said....
I would replace the bad transistor with the appropriate replacement part.

To use the fets requires a change in cricuitry. which transistor does your radio have?

After re-reading your post you've done the mod and then it went tit's up 3 weeks later.

If you have followed those instructions which do not instruct you to install an M-80, whatever the hell that is I would say there's more to your problem than is appearent in your post.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Ok i give up i got it to 1.5 key and 25 swing. What shop would yall send it to i would like to upgrade it to a 100watt radio

Here is what i think about all of this mess.
A galaxy 88 is a great talking radio when tuned right and with the right mods.
trying to make it 100 watts is rediculous.
You are best to send it to someone who can replace the finals/driver and return it to stock, then do a decent mod to it.
Then if you want more power you buy a linear.
Making that radio do more than it can reasonably handle, then adding crap to it to make it do high power will create unreasonable heat. The 3600 board in these radios are notorious for going bad due to temperature changes causing the board to expand and contract, which results in solder joints going bad.

You will destroy a good radio if you continue on your path.

There is alot you can learn about radio and you should start doing so, before you waste your money on all kinds of rediculous garbage and end up pissed off.

PM me.

I would rather take some time helping you get on the right track then see you go after the proverbial dragon to only realise a bunch of dead carcases on your journey.

-peddler

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.