• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

A Cheap and Easy Ground Plane

Hmmmmm....

How about a contest to make the funkiest ground plane out whatever materials you want? Or has that been done here?

I have some ideas... Mwahahahahahhaha....

Hmmmmm....

How about a contest to make the funkiest ground plane out whatever materials you want? Or has that been done here?

I have some ideas... Mwahahahahahhaha....

Sounds fun. maybe I can get the wife to go out of town should I try to make something UGLY (her word).

Well how about this-- it doesn't have to stay up, it just has to be documented and be used to transmit and receive.

BTW Homer, how does it work for you? Pretty good, I bet.

Last edited:
I made a 1/4w groundplane out of some old aluminum army tent poles once :D I had to screw together 3' sections but it worked. I used 2" PVC pipe for the insulator and screwed my ground radials to it. I was surprised how well it hung together. Was able to talk 70 miles to a guy with a big beam antenna one night with it.

bridgman123,
Had to find out what kind of antenna you referred to but it appears to be a simple mobile antenna. If so, then three or four wires about 9 feet long should work with it as a 'groundplane' or it's 'other half'. How you would go about arranging the thing in an attic would be according to how much room you had to work with.
Those wires would take the place of the vehicle's metal body. You'd attach them to the antenna in the same way the vehicle's metal body would attach. Maybe a metal plate with the proper size hole for the antenna, then attach the wires to the plate?
Have fun.
- 'Doc

RickC,

Is it necessary for everything to be isolated from the metal mast or can the radials come in contact with it?

For a stealthy or inside antenna I recommend a magnetic antenna.

loop.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.