• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

A good cleaner?

Lefty

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Jan 9, 2012
S.W. Ohio
Hey all, I got in a very nice Tram D60 that works great.
Problem is, it's been in a basement and has a prominent musty smell to it.

What do you guys use to clean up this or just clean up for restoring in general?

Tanks!

I start of cleaning out the inside of vintage gear with a fine soft bristled 1" paint brush. then you can blow out the ramaining with canned air.

For channel selectors and pot controls the Radio Shack tuner clener works well.

For the outside I use windex and q-tips dipped in windex to get the grime out of the small areas.

dont waste your money on Lowes's Ideal brand spray (or their multimeters for that matter) they suck

Dow bathroom cleaner is great. The foam with the scrubbing bubbles. It has caustic in it. Makes radio cases really shine.

the static cling free dryer sheets will take care of the musty smell.

DE OXIT from rat shack to clean and restore the contacts and the pots so no scratchy noises.

Windex for the cabinet and if a really tough spot deep woods off will clean off any marker or ink. But use it lightly it will also take off paint if left on to long.

Reactions: 1 person
I would not leave dow bathroom cleaner on to long either. Also works great on motors with grime on them. Learned about it when I raced BMX as a kid around the chain and sprockets .

Thanks for the tips guys.
I know Goo Gone is great for tape residue, I use De Oxit.
The other suggestions will be tried this weekend! Will post about it later.

73!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio