• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

A-H knob .... imma show my ignorance

FLYSWATTER

Feb 1, 2009
Louisiana
ok...i'll be the first to admit i r IGNORANT :drool: ok my knowledge lacks quite a bit one reason i like this forum ... anyhoo ... ok i have the stryker 490 whice has no "ssb" switch like the galaxies so on and so forth ... i do however have the A-H knob ... i drive a truck and when i run with people that have that we typically run there quieter...what are those frequencies and how do they relate to side ssb ... thats two of the three complaints i have of the stryker the third being ...well ... the blue leds are just WAAAAAY to bright had them turned down ... took a long time to get used to other than that no complaints .. now let me shine up my moron badge so i can display it prominently as i read replies (y)

thanks for any input

Hey man, there is nothing wrong with being ignorant. Ignorant means that you don't know certain things. Line up everybody in the world, and you won't find ANYBODY that knows everything.
Run away from the person that tells you they do know everything!
God is the only one that I know of - that honestly knows everything - that I would trust.
You go and ask all the questions you want, and everybody here will do the best they can to answering!
What good would this forum be if we all knew everything?

The A thru H knob is for accessing different radio frequencies. You got it. This Styker 490 is a 10 meter radio that you have, but many 10 meter radios can be set up to access far more frequencies than just 10 meters. Like yours can - too. Some of them can also do 11 meters (the CB band) and even include some or all of the 12 meter band. The only problem that you may have with your radio, is not having a frequency counter to know what channel'frequency you are using or listening to. SSB isn't that important to everybody, and having FM is pretty usable too.

For example the RCI-2950DX can do almost all of 10-11-12 meters as well. (at least a chunk of it)
Every time that you change the letter on your Stryker, it changes a different band below or above the CB band. Chances are, the CB band is somewhere in the middle of these letter assignments; but I am unfamiliar with your radio and can't say for sure. People prefer using these channels so that they can carry on a private conversation with little or no interference from other operators. Additionally, the FM feature of your radio makes noise less of an issue. Between those extra channels, the built-in 100 watts, and the FM mode feature makes it easy to talk privately and clearly.

Welcome to WWRF...

Last edited:
SSB is a mode of operation...just like FM or AM. There are acutally two different SSB modes: Upper sideband (USB) and Lower sideband (LSB). They work on the same frequencies (channels) as the other modes. SSB mode is good for talking over farther distances, but it's also a little more complicated to operate. That's why most drivers don't mess with it. The simple answer to your question is that your radio doesn't have the capability to do SSB, which is why you don't have those switches. We can get into more detail on what ssb is if you're interested.

Between those extra channels, the built-in 100 watts, and the FM mode feature makes it easy to talk privately and clearly.

A nitpick...there is nothing 'private' about any of the radio equipment discussed on this forum. It's all in the clear, anyone can hear it within range of your signal. Most anyone who might be interested in hearing it would know right away from the sound that it was FM you were using.

A good thing to always remind yourself over and over, is that radio is quite public and you really truly never know who is listening and why.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.