• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

A Novel Use for CB Radio

C W Morse

Apr 3, 2005
Retired
I just found this at www.arnewsline.org Thought it might be useful.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

THAT FINAL ITEM: FLORIDA GOES 11 METER CB
And finally this week, Florida has gained FCC approval to go 11 meter C-B. This as the FCC approves a request from the Florida Department of Transportation that asked the agency to permit it to operate an 11 meter Citizens Band remote base emergency alert system along the Florida Enterprise's Turnpike.
The Florida Department of Transportation had requested that it be permitted to operate wire controlled C-B remote bases at Orlando, Kissimmee, Yeehaw Junction, Ft. Pierce and Jupiter. This to provide emergency information to motorists along that highway.
In granting the request the FCC did put several restrictions on the operation of these remote base stations. Among these are that CB stations can transmit only during an emergency event such as hazardous weather conditions, impeded traffic flow, or incidents. They must cease transmissions when the event no longer presents a hazard.
Also, each transmission must identify the CB station operator as being with the Florida Department of Transportation. The operator must also provide a telephone number or other contact information to which complaints of interference to CB communications can be directed.
Oh yes, less we forget. The FCC directed that the CB radio station operator should carefully consider channel selection to reduce the likelihood of harmful interference to on-going communications. And as they say on 11 meters, that’s a "big 10-4." (FCC)​

CWM​

Anyone want to start a pool on how long it takes before they install an echo board, noise toys, and a linear? :) :)

I wonder if the Florida DoT will be allow to use "leenyars" on their remote bases.
They are for alerting during emergencies, so it would seem to be justified.

with channel 9 being the designated emergency channel on 11 meters ..... why does fla need to "carefully consider channel selection to reduce the likelihood of harmful interference to on-going communications." on a "11 meter Citizens Band remote base emergency alert system" ???

but , i guess some goverment bloat/employe(s) get to make a nice paycheck for that call ??????

more of our wasted tax dollars !!!!

no doubt . wasnt implying that . just whinning about the process to get there . :(

I wonder if the Florida DoT will be allow to use "leenyars" on their remote bases.
They are for alerting during emergencies, so it would seem to be justified.

I would doubt it. They would likely want localized alerting which could easily be done covering quite a few miles on just a couple of watts. Stick a remote base every ten to twenty miles or so along their particular corridors of coverage and they would be all set.

Our township uses a 1620 AM transmitter and on 4 watts, even with a very lossy loaded vertical antenna at that frequency it easily covers quite a lot of distance. Radiation efficiency on 11m would be far far higher than with that.

Ever even test what 4 watts will do with even a halfway decent elevated antenna on 11m? I had an old Uniden Washington and at 2W or so, it would cover around 20 miles with an easily audible signal no problem.

well the radio will only have 1 microphone
one guy talking on it then there will be 10 others standing around watching him do the work

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.