• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

A99 VS. I MAX CHOICE AT IMPROPER HIGHT

Was talking with someone and they asked this:

What if property height as in rule of thumb as well as proper distance between antennas smirk, say someone puts up 2 iMax 2000's or a99's or whatever vs fan type dipole( vert, hora ect ). Be it same height or just a little higher than other. As well as min height above a structure that the post holding it is up against?

What exactly are you asking???(n)(n)(n)(n)

What's min distance between like antennas for one, and doing the calculations is that include if you do an air cool choke?

max gain spacing is .625 the ARRL antenna handbook has a good chapter on phased arrays

I plan on getting the book was told by ARRL sept oct new ones coming out and it's soft and hard covered versions so why spend money on the one now looking forward to that.

Not seeking a phase array just rule of thumb between antenna in general was using iMac as an example of two of them, what would be min distance between both, he is in a development that the yards are spaced well side to side but your home is so many feet off road, which leaves him about 45 feet from back door to back fence and neighbor behind him has a tower up with an iMax 2000 up and it's @15 - 20 feet dead center of back yard from the back fence line.

If they are that close they are gonna have to learn to work with each other or there will be some term oil. That is way close!! My closest neighbor is about 1 mile or so from me and he tears my receive up with about 200 watts. If he lowers his power down a bunch it is tolerable, but otherwise I have a rough time keeping him from over loading my receive. I can only imagine being less than 100yds from another base. Man do I smell some trouble cooking lol!!!

Reactions: Oatmeal
He says they are not on usually at same time but he is wondering about antennas being close together if their would be any affect.

He says they are not on usually at same time but he is wondering about antennas being close together if their would be any affect.

Yes. It'll make the pattern a bit directional. It'll be effectively like a vertical 2 element yagi to some extent.

If they are that close they are gonna have to learn to work with each other or there will be some term oil. That is way close!! My closest neighbor is about 1 mile or so from me and he tears my receive up with about 200 watts. If he lowers his power down a bunch it is tolerable, but otherwise I have a rough time keeping him from over loading my receive. I can only imagine being less than 100yds from another base. Man do I smell some trouble cooking lol!!!

That is when it pays to have a good receiver. I used to have a neighbor about 1200 feet away. She ran a dirty Realistic Navaho base and a homebrew single tube amp and drove the piss out of that little 6KD6. I ran a clean 100 watts from my Icom IC-735 and yes it was even on the freeband at the time.Whenever I was on she could hear me almost anywhere on the band despite my clean signal. She could not work another station within 20 channels of me. I on the other hand only knew she was on if I tuned within about 20 KHz (two channels) of her while she was on. that radio had some GREAT filtering in it and was triple conversion.I kick my butt many times for selling that radio.

Reactions: 222DBFL
I totally missed that question.

I thought you were asking about phasing two verticals together.
So the question is how far apart does two vertical antennas need to be??

if that is the question then it is frequency dependent.

Needless to sat if it is on the same band and within few 100 kc of each other then a good receiver is needed for rejection as CK already stated

Reactions: 222DBFL
Being that close, which sounds like within a couple hundred feet or less here, there will be bleedover even with a clean radio I beleive. Just too close. Even at 4 watts or 12 watts SSB, the signal is going to be strong as heck that close!! JMO. Okay looking at the post there will be less than 100ft between these 2 seperate transmitting stations. There is going to be bleedover and it's going to be more than a couple channels as that is about what I get from the guy about 1 mile away. I can tell when they are on 38 when I am on 27.400 to 27.405. But I am going to go out on a limb and say that with the distance given by Heavy Metal as to how much room between antennas could be, it's at about 65ft max. Apart. They are just going to have to work together and keep the power low as possible and use all the filtering their radios have!!

222DBFL I know keep from power lines ect but how far from another antenna should you be from as well is what I am asking that it does not interfere with the other one as far as like power lines metal objects obstructions what's rule of thumb for this?

A mile would be ideal. At least 1/2 mile. This will help with the bleedover. This is what you are asking correct. How far 2 base stations should be apart correct? Or is the antenna in use with another antenna? I have a vertical antenna about 50ft from my dipole which are both at about the same height to the feedpoint. The dipole is at about 25ft and my vertical is at about 27ft off the ground and about 50ft apart. They don't seem to bother each other at all. But if it's 2 seperate stations, there are a lot of factors that will determine the distance needed in order to keep the channel bleeding down. How much power, are both antennas verticals, are the radios peaked and tuned or stock. Ground elevation from one antenna to the other. But from the way you described it in your other post it seems as if you don't have enough room between stations if they are adjoining yards. Not unless you have at least 1/4 mile between each station. And that is really close IMO. The closer they get the worse the bleedover will be even will low power. I can take a 4 watt handheld am radio and key it up and walk down the street a couple hundred feet and it still hits my radio (Icom 746) with a big signal. I can only imagine if someone put an antenna up behind me. Its gonna be heck on one or both of the receivers at the distance you have mentioned. Again, JMHO.

I'm talking about being as an object nearby will it affect ones antenna radiation pattern being close to another's antenna?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.