• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

A99 what degree should the radials droop at?

be sure to post pics of your work .:D
are you gonna isolate the antenna from the mast and earth ground too ?
and don't forget the coax choke ;)

be sure to post pics of your work .:D
are you gonna isolate the antenna from the mast and earth ground too ?
and don't forget the coax choke ;)

I think you asked me to do slanted down radials for the A99 model which I was working on for NB's project. I've done horizontal 1/4 wave radials, but the GPK has them shorter. NB claims they can be even short than the 24" for the 1/2 wave. I have yet to do such and I probably won't go shorter except for a test run.

Personally I think he is right, .04%wl or shorter will do it, and this is why the A99 and the Imax work with the matching design they use. Only a few inches of wire is needed to provide for the return currents for that antenna. That piece of coax from the SO239 to the coil is what does it.

I think Shockwave as suggested that these two antennas were designed to function without the need for radials, and I think that has to be obvious. My test with my Autek VA1 right at the feed point proved to me that the match was virtually the same with a 14' foot coax jumper.

I may try to do the slanted radials, but that is a lot of work trying to finesse the radials to the right lengths. When Eznec wire elements get outside of the X,Y coordinates the data entry lengths take on angular perspective and their values for length are skewed at the data entry level only, and that makes it difficult. Example: an 8' foot radial on the x axis will look like this -------- , but the same 8' foot on the slant will look like this \ and it is shorter at the data entry level. In reality the wire is still 8' feet long however.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.