• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

AB1 Amplifier & Class C Amplifier Sideband comparison

Not voicing an opinion, just asking. Why does the newish tx star dx1600 run class c on am and ab on ssb ?
I know the efficiency deal.

It's funny - I never spoted this thread before but I figure better late than never.

The longstreet was absolutely the wrong radio to use for the comparsion because it was a bit overmodulated to start with BUT it was the radio I currently was testing and had in the vehicle so I used what was in there.

For the argument on whether the Palomar labeled AB amps are actually real AB I won't go there but a Palomar AB sounds better than a Midnight Special Class C and a true AB ham amp will sound better than either...no argument there.

Now the main thing is - garbage in/garbage out which I think everyone will agree with. Recently I was running a very mildly tuned Uniden 640e into a MS500 and it sounded clean and I think most people in DX land wouldn't know the difference, but when I switched to a AB amp it did sound better.

My point to the video wasn't to say that a class C amp can sound fabulous on the air, but it was more to say that a class C amp can be used on the air for SSB and for talking DX or whatever and you're not going to have people yelling at you about how crappy it sounds. People tend to make a big stink about class C on SSB and that the world will end if you use them and everyone will tell you that you sound like crap but it's just not true. In fact most CB'ers are overmodulated anyway so it's not something to worry about, if you run your mic gain at 10 oclock and run a class C box you'll probably sound better than 80% of them :) Many ham's I talk to on the air sound like crap themselves even without amps so the argument all depends on who is on the other end listening. If you have a choice of course buy the nice stuff, but for a guy with a Uniden Grant XL that has mild modulation and wants to add a cheap amp for SSB a class C midnight special could work fine.

Also - that video wasn't the best because the radios weren't smack on frequency :) A better test would be to use my 2950DX into both of them but unfortuneately or maybe fortuneately I don't have any class C boxes in my shack right now to do another test :)

It was just a quick test and originally I was actually messing around with the radio so I wasn't truly trying to test the amps.....next time around I'll try to do it a little more scientifically and with multiple radios since there seems to be enough interest in the argument. :)

It's funny - I never spoted this thread before but I figure better late than never.

The longstreet was absolutely the wrong radio to use for the comparsion because it was a bit overmodulated to start with BUT it was the radio I currently was testing and had in the vehicle so I used what was in there.

For the argument on whether the Palomar labeled AB amps are actually real AB I won't go there but a Palomar AB sounds better than a Midnight Special Class C and a true AB ham amp will sound better than either...no argument there.

Now the main thing is - garbage in/garbage out which I think everyone will agree with. Recently I was running a very mildly tuned Uniden 640e into a MS500 and it sounded clean and I think most people in DX land wouldn't know the difference, but when I switched to a AB amp it did sound better.

My point to the video wasn't to say that a class C amp can sound fabulous on the air, but it was more to say that a class C amp can be used on the air for SSB and for talking DX or whatever and you're not going to have people yelling at you about how crappy it sounds. People tend to make a big stink about class C on SSB and that the world will end if you use them and everyone will tell you that you sound like crap but it's just not true. In fact most CB'ers are overmodulated anyway so it's not something to worry about, if you run your mic gain at 10 oclock and run a class C box you'll probably sound better than 80% of them :) Many ham's I talk to on the air sound like crap themselves even without amps so the argument all depends on who is on the other end listening. If you have a choice of course buy the nice stuff, but for a guy with a Uniden Grant XL that has mild modulation and wants to add a cheap amp for SSB a class C midnight special could work fine.

Also - that video wasn't the best because the radios weren't smack on frequency :) A better test would be to use my 2950DX into both of them but unfortuneately or maybe fortuneately I don't have any class C boxes in my shack right now to do another test :)

It was just a quick test and originally I was actually messing around with the radio so I wasn't truly trying to test the amps.....next time around I'll try to do it a little more scientifically and with multiple radios since there seems to be enough interest in the argument. :)
This amplifier has the same basic assembly design as the midnight special and has a ab-1 bias scheme with the 2950 dx.

YouTube - ab bias check 11

This amplifier has the same basic assembly design as the midnight special and has a ab-1 bias scheme with the 2950 dx.
Since class AB1 is "grounded grid" and AB2 is "grid driven", I'm relatively certain that your transistor amp is not AB1.

Anytime you see a transistor amp labeled as class AB1, it's a great indication the builder hasn't a clue about bias. The "1" in class AB1 designates the condition of the gird current in a tube amplifier. It is not used with respect to any transistor amp.

Anytime you see a transistor amp labeled as class AB1, it's a great indication the builder hasn't a clue about bias. The "1" in class AB1 designates the condition of the gird current in a tube amplifier. It is not used with respect to any transistor amp.

Excuse me, will 3 hale marys' redeem me? should have been ab.

Since class AB1 is "grounded grid" and AB2 is "grid driven", I'm relatively certain that your transistor amp is not AB1.

WHAT?? You better check that out again,it has nothing to do with being grid driven or cathode driven (grounded grid).

A "1" indicates that the tube does not draw any grid current, and "2" indicates that the tube's output stage grid voltage is being pushed above the 0 volt mark and into a positive grid voltage, causing the grid to draw some current from the preceding driver stage.

NICE BURN!

Captain Kilowatt said:
WHAT?? You better check that out again,it has nothing to do with being grid driven or cathode driven (grounded grid).

A "1" indicates that the tube does not draw any grid current, and "2" indicates that the tube's output stage grid voltage is being pushed above the 0 volt mark and into a positive grid voltage, causing the grid to draw some current from the preceding driver stage.

You're right, I said that all wrong. AB2 can be grid driven or cathode driven (grounded grid).

now that that is settled :)

what bias exactly is a texas star ? are there any difference in the bias circuits between the texas star , messenger cobra and the few good palomar amps ? is any one better or worse than the other as far as a good bias for SSb and AM use ?

now that that is settled :)

what bias exactly is a texas star ? are there any difference in the bias circuits between the texas star , messenger cobra and the few good palomar amps ? is any one better or worse than the other as far as a good bias for SSb and AM use ?

Due to the use of fixed components that's a tough question to answer BM because they don't use an active regulator the bias voltage is not stable enough to put into a single class.

I wish I had one so I could check that out for myself.

the rms have some sort of regulators in them!!! ie lm7824!! in all honesty i have never rxed a bad sounding one! not in my area anyway! that says something! (y)

Hey Mack, same radio different amplifiers. The test may have been a cheat. Notice that the "AB1" amp was narrated as sideband. Were all the tests on sideband? Clearly "C" is not for side band by nature. We need a new test, same equipment. Comparison fixed on AM, comparison fixed on SSB. Then we will know. The difference in the test produced very clear audio on SSb with an AB1 amp, and lesser quality on the other amp, but conditions unknown. If we take the test as SSB all equal, then the AB1 had superior modulation, hello, modulation! (y)

I just started reading back through this thread and stumbled on this post which I missed before, stevenp55 if you'd taken time to read the title of this thread you're post here would be of a different nature.

AB1 Amplifier & Class C Amplifier Sideband comparison

I did this to show the difference class ab and c effect final audio while in ssb mode and you most likely won't decern any differences between the 2 in AM mode but certainly won't give any negative effects while in AM mode.

My test was done with a single radio (RCI-2950DX) while in tx and the amplifier was a single amplifier with switchable ab/c capability thanks to bob-85 so with the flip of a single switch this test was accomplished.

I wouldn't bother doing a test of this nature on AM because the recieve on most AM/CB radios is so wide you'd never be able to tell the difference anyway.

A class C amplifier can work on AM or SSB if it's operated in the linear portion of it's amplification curve. That doesn't mean it will work -well-, just that it will work. Why is a class C amplifier touted as the 'end all' for AM amplifiers? Cuz you can see more power output than for other classes of amplifiers. You don't have to know just a tad bit more to figure the biasing needed for proper operation. And because they've been around dang near forever so have become a sort of 'standard' for CB amplifiers. If it's 'older' it's gotta be better, right? Yeah, right. You've got your choice, big watts or good quality signal. You decide, then live with it.
- 'Doc

Another Bootymonster who thinks class c is the devil. Of course the radio, microphone turned way too high, and the manner in which the Class(devil)C amp is driven has nothing to do with it......does it?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.