• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Adios SW BC QRM on 40m!

2CO3026

Mar 14, 2009
Cornpach, IL
Yes, it won't be long until the shortwave broadcast stations are gone on a portion of the 40 meter band!

I think it's the end of this month, when we will have it back, all to ourselves. The QRM-free portion of the band will be 7100 - 7200 kHz. Now if we can get those remaining BC stations between 7200 - 7300 kHz to QSY, that would be wonderful!

I'm not going to know how to act without all the splatter and the "monkeys banging pots and pans" QRM!

73 & Good DX,

Sparky 2CO3026

Now if we can get those remaining BC stations between 7200 - 7300 kHz to QSY, that would be wonderful!

73 & Good DX,

Sparky 2CO3026

Trust me, I'm not complaining, but the fact that they are only getting pushed out from 7.100 to 7.200 only opens up 25 Khz of QRM free space for us Generals on the phone band, what about the remaining 100 Khz from 7.200 to 7.300 where it's really bad.......:headbang
Sure would be nice if they cleaned that up as well, but I guess we gotta accept whatever bone they throw our way....

I made my first CW contact in close to 20 years on 7.114.0, and as soon as someone responded to my CQ call I got hit with serious QRM from one of those damn BC stations. The only thing I could copy was most of the guy's call, and Appleton, WI.......couldn't copy any other word because his signal was totally washed out by the QRM......

The other thing that concerns me is where are all these BC stations gonna go after the end of the month, are they going to relocate to the space between 7.200 and 7.300.....???.....if so, then that portion of the phone band will be totally useless to those of us running 100 watt barefoot stations.
Will they just go off the air, or is the ITU sending them somewhere's far away from the ham bands.......????

We'll see what happens in 3 weeks.....

i hate to say this, ........and i hope that i'm wrong :headbangbut..... what is really going to happen after the HIGH power bc stations QSY, is that the "low"(50-100 kw) power sw stations, that are not going to comply with the ITRU regulations anyway, are going to compete for the spectrum and it will be pretty much the same. :mad:

Last edited:
I have to agree w/ Hookedon6, and anyway, there is no real way to force any of those foreign stations to move, so dont get your hopes up.:sad:

Hookedon6 and Packrat......I agree with you both....

First off there is no garuntee that any or all of those high power stations will vacate the 40 meter band, and as Hookedon6 points out.....what about the low power stations.....:confused:

Trust me....my hopes are not very high on this one.......:thumbdown:

For a ridiculously large amount of money I will guaranty the removal of a BC station from one particular frequency for a very limited amount of time. Absolutely nothing illegal about it. Make a certified check payable to me, and give the required date and time for that absence of the BC station approximately one month in advance. If there aren't at least 6 zeros following the first significant digit on that check, don't hold your breath.
That's a money back (less normal operating fees) guaranty!
- 'Doc

If anyone takes me up on that offer I promise to post it here... from my new Caribbean home.

For a ridiculously large amount of money I will guaranty the removal of a BC station from one particular frequency for a very limited amount of time. Absolutely nothing illegal about it. Make a certified check payable to me, and give the required date and time for that absence of the BC station approximately one month in advance. If there aren't at least 6 zeros following the first significant digit on that check, don't hold your breath.
That's a money back (less normal operating fees) guaranty!
- 'Doc

If anyone takes me up on that offer I promise to post it here... from my new Caribbean home.

and with the money left over you'll probably build yourself a new pirate short wave broadcast station and run it on 7.175 Mhz.....:glare:

I made my first CW contact in close to 20 years on 7.114.0, and as soon as someone responded to my CQ call I got hit with serious QRM from one of those damn BC stations. The only thing I could copy was most of the guy's call, and Appleton, WI.......couldn't copy any other word because his signal was totally washed out by the QRM......

Congrats on the first CW contact after such a long hiatus! Let's hope things improve soon. That portion (7100 to 7125) of the band is an excellent place to get away from contest QRM, etc. Maybe with the BC stations vacating, we'll see more activity there. Let's hope so.

Maybe if we get lucky some low power anti obamajamma english speaking pirate station will get in there. Instead of low power other than english speaking station getting in there. but rest assure there will be someone out there capitalising on a little less compitition.

So far, so good

It's like a breath of fresh air! The absence of (most) BC stations on 40 meters is a pleasant relief from the incessant QRM we've dealt with through the years. I say most because there are still a few stragglers, as expected. But the change is significant.

This is definitely a step in the right direction!

It's like a breath of fresh air! The absence of (most) BC stations on 40 meters is a pleasant relief from the incessant QRM we've dealt with through the years. I say most because there are still a few stragglers, as expected. But the change is significant.

This is definitely a step in the right direction!

Yep....as soon as that contest shut down last night, 40 meters opened way up.

I often wondered who exactly ever listened to those broadcasts anyway, do these stations actually have advertisers that support their operating cost....?

In this day and age they are so insignificant it's not worth their effort to even warm up the tubes on those transmitters, yet every friggin night their over powered signals would be kicking up some serious QRM all over 40 meters......

Some traditions just die a slow hard death......

There are places in the world where that is how people get their information and some entertainment. Unlike North America there are place where it's not all about trying to sell you some new piece of junk.

I do say it is drastically better on 40m since the BC's moved.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.