• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Advice on a setup

I got to disagree here since all frequencies reduce at the square of the distance - once you get down in the woods - might be that no one will be able to hear you.

Your points are all valid. However, around these parts there are usually loggers nearby, and log trucks in and out. Those guys use CB for communications among themselves, so chances are very good someone will hear me from the logging site, or else a truck will come within range. I do plan on using a good antenna and boosting my signal as much as I can afford to, though.

If I get stranded there's a good chance I will be up high, since I mostly go out there to take my telescope and stargaze. Some of those places, you can see for 20 -30 + miles on a good day. That should help get a signal out.

Still, getting a ham license isn't at all a bad idea. In fact, I really, really want to get one. Money is a large factor right now, though. If I could get talking HAM for $2-300 I would be all over it. But entry level mobiles seem to cost upwards of $1000 +. Way, way more expensive that a $150 CB.

Anyway, the CB is basically just an added layer of security. Sure, there's a chance no one will hear me. But in my situation there's a good chance someone will, too, and that makes it worth it.

If all else fails, I always carry emergency gear and tell people where I am going, so I can camp out in the back of the Jeep until someone comes by or comes looking. Shouldn't have to wait more than a couple weeks. :whistle:

OK lets take on a whole new view on this. You get your license and use 10 meters. you could buy the same radio I'm using which is a Magnum257hp it's 80 watts peak power and easily converted for channels. Now you legally have 10 meters you can use and expanded you have 11 meter (cb band) Wife bought mine at a shop locally here for $229 and now we add that wilson 1000 magnetic and your still around that magical $300 mark. I know the ham operators here will say that's not a legal radio but who's gonna know besides you and whoever you tell? Besides if your licensed your more legal than me!:eek:

I know the ham operators here will say that's not a legal radio

It IS a legal radio.
It is against the rules to TRANSMIT with it on the FCC Approved 40 CB channels.
If you have your Amateur License it is perfectly Legal to use the radio on any frequency/mode that your class of license permits you to use.
YOU can modify the radio to go out of band, and you can use it to monitor/ receive on any frequency you like, you just can not TRANSMIT with it on the Cb band.
It is NOT allowed to be sold as a CB, this is where retailers get into hot water, CB`s in the USA, have to be FCC TYPE ACCEPTED.
Amateur`s can build there own radios if they like, as they do not have to be type accepted.

If you have your license you can have the same radio, and use it on a lot more frequency's, and the license is not that hard any more.
It is to your advantage to have it.
Don`t get me wrong, if they actually pull up on you and find you transmitting in the cb band with a non type accepted radio, you can still get dinged, but as you have already said, who is going to know unless you do something to warrant the attention.

Jeff

OK lets take on a whole new view on this. You get your license and use 10 meters. you could buy the same radio I'm using which is a Magnum257hp it's 80 watts peak power and easily converted for channels. Now you legally have 10 meters you can use and expanded you have 11 meter (cb band) Wife bought mine at a shop locally here for $229 and now we add that wilson 1000 magnetic and your still around that magical $300 mark. I know the ham operators here will say that's not a legal radio but who's gonna know besides you and whoever you tell? Besides if your licensed your more legal than me!:eek:

Why would it be illegal? I thought Hams could operate on 10 meter? Is it illegal to convert it to get CB channels? That wouldn't make much sense, since you don't even need a license for CB. :confused:

Edit: Oh of course. Because it puts out 80 watts. Never mind.

Last edited:
Don`t get me wrong, if they actually pull up on you and find you transmitting in the cb band with a non type accepted radio, you can still get dinged, but as you have already said, who is going to know unless you do something to warrant the attention.

Jeff

Sure, practically every CBer is already transmitting above 4 watts anyway, so it seems to me this is no different. From what I can tell the FCC doesn't really enforce it unless you are causing trouble or interfering with people's TVs and the like.

Looks like I'll be heading over to the Ham side of the forums and reading up. And buying the ARRL books. If I'm gonna go for a license, I might as well go for all three at once! Not sure I'm really that smart, though. :blush:

Wondering how easy is it to covert such a radio for other frequencies, like 2 meter, etc.? Heck, if I'm gonna ham it up, I want to be able to talk on all the frequencies I am allowed.

Wondering how easy is it to covert such a radio for other frequencies, like 2 meter, etc.?

Almost impossible to convert a ten meter or CB for 2 meters, I am not saying you cant, but it would be like building a radio from scratch and seeing if you could use anything from the Cb.
It is however possible to use old Business band radio`s for 2 meters and 440.
In fact a large number of repeaters have been built from old forest service radios, split the transmit and receive, install new crystals for amateur frequency's and use a old CAT 1000 controller or the like to control it.
You can build your own stuff to run on the Ham bands.
In fact, you can take a 40 channel AM/SSB CB radio, Modify it to transmit in the voice portion of ten meters and talk away, this used to be done all the time.

Jeff

even if you could convert a cb into a 2meter radio you would have
to find a way to tune a cb antenna that low or buy another one .
my advise just stick with cb ....for now .pay antention to see if
ya see any antennas on houses if ya dont see any nearby
chances might be there are none near around you.which wouldnt
help ya out at all when out star gazing. id stll say get a 148/grant style
cb and either a wilson ,10k, or 102 antenna and you,ll be set .
if not can easily add a amp to either of these radios.some of
the higher power radios will overdrive some amps.stay with cb
see how it works for ya and keep reading on THIS fourm
theres alot of smart people on here

Almost impossible to convert a ten meter or CB for 2 meters, I am not saying you cant, but it would be like building a radio from scratch and seeing if you could use anything from the Cb.
It is however possible to use old Business band radio`s for 2 meters and 440.
In fact a large number of repeaters have been built from old forest service radios, split the transmit and receive, install new crystals for amateur frequency's and use a old CAT 1000 controller or the like to control it.
You can build your own stuff to run on the Ham bands.
In fact, you can take a 40 channel AM/SSB CB radio, Modify it to transmit in the voice portion of ten meters and talk away, this used to be done all the time.

Jeff

Cool beans. This sounds like something I could get really addicted to in a hurry. Especially when there is potential tinkering involved. :p:

Thanks everyone for your help.

AudioShockwave Thanks for the info I thought without the little sticker on the back of the radio it was not an approved 10 meter radio and therefore an illegal export radio. I learned something new!

As long as you have your Lic, the following apply s

Thank you for contacting the FCC Consumer Center.

Part 97 is not written in terms of particular pieces of equipment and whether or not they may be used as amateur station transmitters. Rather, Part 97 specifies the standards an amateur station must comply with when it transmits. There is no statement on the website that addresses whether any particular piece of equipment may or may not be used at an amateur station, other than equipment authorization information in the OET database.

Whether an amateur radio operator builds equipment, modifies equipment, or uses equipment from another service is not of concern to the Commission as long as the emissions from the station comply with the rules.

Review the technical information available on the equipment, determine the amateur rules that apply to the frequencies the transmitter transmits on, and the other applicable rules such as the secondary status, etc., and make sure that if you use equipment, you can operate them in compliance with the rules.

Section 97.103(a) and Section 97.107(a) must be complied with, as well as Section 97.119-station identification.

Obviously you would have to ensure that use of the equipment would not cause interference to other authorized users of the frequencies.

This discussion has come up in the past, one of the Admins here Sonwatcher called the FCC and asked them point blank if he, as an amateur operator could use a "export radio" in the Ham Bands
As I remember the reply, he was told that as long as he used it for frequency's covered by his License, it was legal.
At that time he posted the phone number, and the case number from the FCC.

Jeff

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.