• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

AL-572 Transformer Buck-Boost connections

Naysayer

Said Nay
Mar 6, 2020
New York
Hello DX community,
I'm trying to set my Plate voltage on a homebrew 4cx300 amp. I'll take any voltage from 1.5 to 2kv but I'm also having a measurement issue. I'm getting higher voltage than expected post-V. Doubler. I'm feeding 920-30 AC into it and getting about 2.5 out, which is too high. I presume my meter is reading peaks? I should have about 875vac max, is that right?

Both my plastic VOM and RCA Voltohmyst w/ HV probe display the same values in & out. How can I adjust for load when measuring pre-completion (no tubes inserted)? Transformer is from an AL572 amp (w/ buck boost) but I don't have the jumper board pictured in the Ameritron paperwork/manual (instructions premised upon the wires being assigned letters A, B, etc). I can only judge by the color of the buck boost wires (Orange, Blue, Grey).
Currently the Blue is disconnected; AC fed to: 1.) Grey and; 2.) Striped Brown & Black wires together. The solid Brown & Black wires are tied to the Orange wire. This yeilds about 930vac which is better than the 1100v I got previously. I'm still about 75vac too high. Is this as low as I can get it given my 120vac input?

neil, NYC

Last edited:

Once upon a time I had a Peter Dahl diagram from a replacement he made back in the day. Showed the buck/boost winding in more detail. I'll see if I can turn it up next time I get to work.

Thanks, I've been going by process of elimination. I have 1500vdc post-doubler which is great for where I'm at now and the next few weeks. The next bump up that I know is correct is a bit over 2600 which is too high.
Thanks again
neil

Cleaning I found receipt with diagram from Ameritron at time of purchase (September 2012). Tab was $142 plus $30 for shipping. Sure miss those prices. A hand-drawn wiring diagram was also included which I'm posting for anyone else who may want to see how Buck Boost winding is configured.

I'm a day or 2 away from applying RF to my 4cx300a HF amp build. Have all the test voltages on the Tetrode Boards from G3SEK. Any day now.
neil, NYC

Attachments

• AL-572 Transformer diagram.pdf
    973.6 KB · Views: 135

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned