• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ALE RADIO SYSTEM

doctor

Supporting Member
Aug 1, 2006
indiana
Has anyone tried the ALE radio links or downloaded the software and setup on the ALE frequencies.
It seems it is somewhat similiar to WINMOOR system, perhaps more stations to connect to, another fancy way to send email and connect instead of the Internet.

I know Multipsk has ALE on the program and the newer version has qsp mail via Ale system, although it just came out a few days ago and few comments on it.

DOCTOR/795

I've played with the ALE software on the MARS frequencies. It's a neat concept because the software remembers which frequency it last heard the other stations on. So, when you go to key the radio using the software to communicate with that other station, it already knows which frequency to use. To make it work well, you need an automatic antenna tuner that will remember the settings for each band/frequency. This lets it change rapidly as the ALC application polls the various frequencies. You also need a TNC because it uses Pactor (if I remember correctly) to ping the other stations. I haven't been able to get it to work over Winmor yet, although I haven't tried real hard.

Civil Air Patrol uses some ALE radios in its network. Not having actually used one yet, I haven't learned (or asked) how you get the radio to "sit still" for a net on a particular frequency (like MARS and CAP) and not "jump" to another tempting frequency. Most of the radios are on a set net frequency. ALE is pretty neat except for the 'handshake" signal that "polls" the frequency and the other radios.

Are you guys having any trouble with the "CODAR" signals that have been interfering with us? The technical group at Nat'l HQ has asked us to gather data on it and its effects on our operations for forwarding up channels to NTIA and FCC. The "CODAR" people haven't been very sympathic to our complaints. :mad:

CWM

ALE

I just got off ALE, and made a few contacts, worked just fine, locked on the frequency and the station. on 20 and 30 meters.
I heard some stations on at first and was using the first ALE400, no copy so tried the second ale button, copy 100 percent. I was using multipsk software and it worked just fine..neat mode.

DOCTOR/795

Civil Air Patrol uses some ALE radios in its network. Not having actually used one yet, I haven't learned (or asked) how you get the radio to "sit still" for a net on a particular frequency (like MARS and CAP) and not "jump" to another tempting frequency. Most of the radios are on a set net frequency. ALE is pretty neat except for the 'handshake" signal that "polls" the frequency and the other radios.

Are you guys having any trouble with the "CODAR" signals that have been interfering with us? The technical group at Nat'l HQ has asked us to gather data on it and its effects on our operations for forwarding up channels to NTIA and FCC. The "CODAR" people haven't been very sympathic to our complaints. :mad:

CWM

ALE turned on really isn't intended or suitable for a net. The point of it is to talk to an individual, pre-determined station without having to figure out the propagation characteristics at a given point in time.

Yes, we have had trouble with CODAR sigals. We got a "cease and desist" letter sent a couple of years ago, but it didn't do much good. Sometimes it's unbearable at my location on certain frequencies.

There's one of those pesky CODAR stations on Cape Hatteras, NC I'm told. Really tears up east coast stations. Since they are tearing up military and ES traffic, certain officials are trying to get NTIA involved in it and MAKE them stop it. CODAR has been asked nicely to abate their interference, but they must think they are God or sum'pin. That thing blanks out everything from 4200 to 4800 KHZ when its on and it needs to stop .:angry:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.