• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Aligning S-Meters on OmegaForce S-45

kb7obw

Jun 10, 2009
Does anyone know which pot(s) to tweak in the Magnum Omegaforce S45 so as to align both the analog and digital S-meters? There's about a 2db or so discrepancy between meters on RX. Not a "big deal" but I’m sure it’s a “no brainer” if I knew what number and where they are located.

As far as I know, there is no alignment pot for the digital meter. I set my analog meter to agree with the digital meter at 5 S-units as the reference point. After the analog meter gets to the 10 S-unit point, the digital meter will out-scale it and read modulation. Not the strongest feature on this radio - I go by the analog meter anyway.

RV101 is the alignment pot of RX for the analog meter. That is how I adjusted mine.

http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/rflimited/delforce/graphics/deltaforce_omegaforce_alignment.pdf

Last edited:
As far as I know, there is no alignment pot for the digital meter. I set my analog meter to agree with the digital meter at 5 S-units as the reference point. After the analog meter gets to the 10 S-unit point, the digital meter will our-scale it and read modulation. Not the strongest feature on this radio - I go by the analog meter anyway.

RV101 is the alignment pot of RX for the analog meter. That is how I adjusted mine.

http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/rflimited/delforce/graphics/deltaforce_omegaforce_alignment.pdf

Thanks Rob! That's what I needed to know!

My S45 is a "virgin" as far as being aligned only by the factory (no "golden screwdrivers."). Other than the discrepancy between the meters, all else seems to be working OK.

Thanks for the URL as well.

73's

Robbie

As far as I know, there is no alignment pot for the digital meter. I set my analog meter to agree with the digital meter at 5 S-units as the reference point. After the analog meter gets to the 10 S-unit point, the digital meter will out-scale it and read modulation. Not the strongest feature on this radio - I go by the analog meter anyway.

Got 'er done! Thanks!

I had a hard time finding the RV101 pot because it, with RV102, were just under a bundle of wires. LOL! The schematic, though, told me that they were in that area "somewhere" so I "dug" until I got to it.

Rob is right on the "no adjustment" for the digital meter. I talked to Sam way back when I bought mine new cause they were different and was told by him there is no adjustment for the digital meter. Only the analog meter is adjustable. Sam also told me the reason for the difference is the digital is "real time" as opposed to the analog having a delay/lag. I really don't believe
this to be true but didn't wanna start an arguement w/him! He and his people have always treated me great w/any questions or concerns so I figured I'd leave well enough alone. Know what I mean?
Slim

Rob is right on the "no adjustment" for the digital meter. I talked to Sam way back when I bought mine new cause they were different and was told by him there is no adjustment for the digital meter. Only the analog meter is adjustable. Sam also told me the reason for the difference is the digital is "real time" as opposed to the analog having a delay/lag. I really don't believe
this to be true but didn't wanna start an arguement w/him! He and his people have always treated me great w/any questions or concerns so I figured I'd leave well enough alone. Know what I mean?
Slim

Hi Slim.

Thanks for the information.

I have no problem in what Sam told you, considering that both meters are really synchronized.

I can definitely understand the digital meter having a quicker (instant) response time ("real time") being that there is no lag time for a mechanical movement like the analog meter. I also believe the digital meter to be the most accurate because it's reading comes more directly from the processor.

However my criteria for synchronizing the analog meter with the digital meter was in receiving a steady signal from unmodulated dead key carriers or carriers with no "swing". Lag time would have no effect on that type of reading. Like Rob, I used about an S-5 signal (and patience) to tweak the pot for the analog to my satisfaction. There's surprisingly less lag in the analog meter than one might think, though.

I'm also more partial to analog meters because they indicate "in-be-tween" the number readings that the digital meter doesn't do.

For TX, I like the digital meter.

73's

Robbie

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.