• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

alinco dx 70 th

skip searcher

Nov 17, 2006
IRELAND
any operators familiar with this transciever i am considering purchasing a small compact transciever for mobile use curently using a ranger rci 2950 dx very happy with radio but would like something with wider coverage for listening

I have a 70TH, and while it is a nice simple radio, it has a couple of drawbacks.

1. Its noise blanker is not much good, in my car it was very noisy, unable to hear a lot of signals. Note this was not all noise from my car, but also from every vehicle around.
2. It uses a special cable for the remote head, while this may not be an issue in itself, mine has gone faulty, and I lose function now and again. Other (newer) radios use RJ cabling so is easy to make one yourself.

Otherwise I like it. I like its simplicity. It sounds pretty good.
It is now my base unit, and a Yaesu 857 in the car.

Here in Australia, the Alinco is actually more expensive than the Yaesu...

Also , just be aware there are some people that have had issues with the Filter relays / diodes failing, symptom is low power output on some bands, so it you are going to buy second hand, make sure you test into a dummy load etc. before handing cash over.

I have one, had to have the diodes replaced and no trouble with it after that, the diode trouble was with the 10 watt six meter band, when they had added the 100 watts 6 meter band, it seemed to had cured the diode problem they were having<probably new improved diodes>. I like the radio though, and it works good on all bands including 11 meters.

DOCTOR/795

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.