• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

All buyers and traders beware Don Haaker w1cia scam artist

k7bmz

Mar 19, 2011
I conducted a trade with this so called honest man w1cia Don and have ended up with the trade costing me over $800 in merchandise, shipping cost and repairs. I traded and excellent operating FT-450 and MD-1 desk mic for a promised working as it should Swan 700cx. The Swan is completely inoperable and has to be completely refurbished. Don was completely dishonest in telling me it works as it should and I am out the radio gear value I traded him as well as the repair and shipping cost to have the Swan 700cx and 117 power supply completely refurbished. It was anything but a trade in good faith on w1cia's side!!
BEWARE THIS GUY WILL CHEAT YOU!!

Reactions: 3 people

Yeah got proof and will have proof from 2 tech's after all repairs are done to the 700cx he is a scam artist. Won't even respond to me with any explanation

Yeah got proof and will have proof from 2 tech's after all repairs are done to the 700cx he is a scam artist. Won't even respond to me with any explanation

If you haven't already, post this same report at QRZ.com Ham-To-Ham References forum.

In future on used vintage gear, try your best to get the other party to let you receive his item first to check it out before sending yours.

Good luck

In trades like this the complaining party should have had the option of returning the gear and call the whole thing off. Both parties ship back at their expense. If you took it upon yourself to have the Swan repaired then I'd be less inclined to ship back the Yaesu FT-450. You shouldn't expect W1CIA to pay for any repairs, that was your decision. He definitely should have returned your gear though.

I've had one swap where the party decided to NOT ship when he said he would. All the while keeping me waiting for a package to arrive. He changed the agreement after the fact and wanted to check out the gear I sent. While I would have agreed to it, he should have done it up front before I shipped.

Save all correspondence from the beginning. Screen shots of the original offer.
I do this with every sell, trade or purchase.

(Except with GLR as he is a man of his word always)

Save all correspondence from the beginning. Screen shots of the original offer.
I do this with every sell, trade or purchase.

(Except with GLR as he is a man of his word always)

It's true.

I'm a model internet citizen.

Reactions: 1 person
Your mistake was not doing an Internet search on his call. There are posts going back to 2008 warning of his propensity to cheat other hams.

Lesson learned.

a shame

I remember when one could trust a ham at their word and handshake, now there are crooks in this wonderful hobby of ours, I think your doing the right thing here, put the word out on him to let other hams beware.
We have a crook here in Houston , his call is N5JXM ( Bill Butterworth ) and I warn everyone I can about him. so keep the work.

Plenty of elders have mailed me items before iv payed. Its too bad ppl have to be jerks and rip u off.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.