• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Alternator may be too small

Well....see what happens when you try and be reasonable to an unreasonable person? I needed to break in the new broom so I decided to sweep out the trash. I will leave his content up just to show others just what he is like and to piss him off.

355 if you are wanting to work some skip SSB mode would be the way to go,you can work the world from a mobile with just 100 watts without to much trouble,not to mention you stand a better chance of finding some good people to talk to. Or better yet get a ham radio general class ticket and have at it there.... easy contacts all over the world from a mobile. Heck I talked to a guy in Arizona today that was running just 15 watts and a tuned wire antenna from a hiking trail

The AM CB crowd from what I have been hearing the past few years are more interested in how much power they can run and how many channels they can be heard away from where they are transmitting.

As far as the amps you have mentioned,for the most part they are not very well made and are pushed well beyond their limits.All you need to do is put them on a scope and put a signal through them to find out just how bad they really are.Not to mention could land you in alot of trouble if the radio/amp combo you use bleeds onto the ham radio bands.I have heard of more than one person using a mistuned radio and amp get busted by the FCC for bleeding onto the ham radio bands and having to pay huge fines

If you take the time to really look through the posts here you will find the folks here are more interested in putting out a good quality signal than just a huge signal.The people here really know the hobby,what works,and how it works and can usually spot a bad product just by the smell...there has been ALOT of radios,amps,antennas that have been evaluated by members here and they are all known to run a product through the wringer to find out if it is any good or not

yes there are several members here that are hams ( myself included) and broadcast engineers ...Most of the folks here got their start in CB and then moved to the ham bands ,some are still running CB as well as ham and some have never left CB ... and for the most part they all know this hobby very well..They know what works,what doesnt...how it works ,why it works,and have the knowlage to back up what they are saying......

Biased?? This board is one of the most unbiased boards you will find...if you think this board is biased you are in for a huge surprise....

Not trying to get anyone or anything stirred up....just putting in my two cents worth...take it as you will...

all the best

edit...wow alot happens while I am posting......

Reactions: 2 people
At At Exit...not trying to upset anyone. That really isn't my intent. Sometimes words on a screen are hard to get the "tone" from so I hope not offend..but....

A class AB (no such thing as BJT AB1) would actually be worse in my opinion if it's a 2 x 4 because a class AB amplifier actually has more gain. While this config in class C (no negative bias applied but no positive either to even though it is not deep into class c it is nevertheless) a 2 x 4 design is still completely overdriven and out of control either way. It can make a watt meter look good but that's about it. Remember that a class C amplifier for anything but FM that isn't directly modulated is going to already have massive amounts of by products and wasted power. Then, overdrive it beyond ridiculousness and the results are just that. While it is true that a class AB amplifier operating properly will draw more current at least you know that what you see on the meter is actually useful for the most part. Worried about the heat? Solve that by proper design and cooling as well as not driving it to the point of meltdown and because you don't have those two extra transistors in there you are already saving some current draw and heat vs if you had them and they aren't doing much for your signal.

See..some really smart people get together and design these things and are aware that they aren't right but don't care. They have a hate and discontent when people like myself come out and tell it like it is.

The builders of even some of the old tube stuff such as Elkin and D&A used to use such "tricks" to fool people using purposely "loose" bias or screen supplies to cause a lot of."swing" on a meter. One of them I have met and when asked got a big smile on their face, laughed and stated that if people will spend the money not knowing any better he will laugh all the way to the bank.

Just run a good amp, a good clean radio, and most important a good antenna system and have fun.

Myself I have in the past been offered money to go to the "dark side" and even partner up with some of these guys. I refused and quite frankly all they do is push junk and use marketing and customer loyalty (no one wants to be told or admit or accept that what they bought isn't good..the powerful thing called pride) and they know that. Anyways..I will back out of here and not say any more.

Ultimately it is your decision and your wallet.

No harm, no foul, mate. Just stating that a 2x4 can sound alright if redone properly. I have a 2x4 base box but I reworked it. For what it's worth, I should remove the driver section, and rewind the transformers and make it a straight 4 pill, low drive... but eh, it works fine, and I don't run anymore than 15-16W PEP into it. Wasn't meaning to take a jab. :)

~Cheers~

Reactions: 1 person
No worries. It's all good. But to those that think this board is biased (pardon the pun) try that crap and crap radio theory over at eham or qrz and see what happens. At least people here will try to steer you in the right direction and realize we all started somewhere. Over there you'll just be laughed at on your way out with your tail between your legs.

Reactions: 2 people
I wouldn't do the motor maul thing...it is a band aid approach at best. Remember every time you doulbe your power you only go up 1/2 of an S unit on the other end. Why not take the money and get yourself a good radio, and a nice 4 "pill" amp like a texas star dx-500 instead of a copper clad board splatter box? You will have less issues and still have a great signal! An RCI-2950dx and a texas star 500 would be a nice mobile set up. If you are into AM and echo and roger beeps then a Stryker 440hp would be a good match with the same amp.

I guess bootymonster is back with a different name. Busted!
Implying that all amps with solid copper boards are splatter boxes makes as much sense as assuming all gun owners will commit murder.

Didn't say they all were, read closely. However, MOST of them marketed to the CB market *are*. It's not a personal thing here. They are. It is fact, plain and simple.

I drive a 2012 Kenworth T700 with a paccar motor in it. These motors have small alternators on them. About 125 amps. I want to run an 8 pill but I'm afraid the alternator is too small. I thought about getting a motor maul but want to check my options before I go that route. Its a company truck so I can't install a larger alternator. Will use a smaller amp as a driver or a big radio. Thanks for your help.

give Adam a call at Nations alternators in missori . 1-888-334-2632

tell em I sent ya . :D

give Adam a call at Nations alternators in missori . 1-888-334-2632

tell em I sent ya . :D

That would be crazy since it's a company truck. Putting all kinds of high power CB equipment in a company truck makes no sense whatsoever. Who the hell knows which driver will be in that truck next week.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.