• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

aluminum welding

Yes they should work. Just watch the amount of heat you put into the material your welding you can melt it easily. But at the same time you need to be sure to have the material your welding at the proper temprature to insure good penetration of the weld flow. Welding thin aluminum can be very tricky indeed.

Good luck!!

Have both pieces to weld well secured. Aluminium will buckle and warp like an easter egg left in a car on a hot day.

:eek:you would get better results with a heli arc, also known as a TIG. If it were me, I would not try it!!! I have been a professional welder, have had very poor results from Aluminum rods....:headbang

pic attached

after looking at the pic, let me know if it is better handled by a tig welder...the wall thickness is 1/16".

Attachments

• antenabrokeresize.jpg
    antenabrokeresize.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 3
Alumaweld is a compromise solution, so TIG welding is the right way to fix it.

What's the tube diameter and what is in the center? Is that the base of the radiator or some other high stress location?

Alumaweld alone is not likely to result in an effective, long lasting joint, so you would want to add a sleeve around the outside (since there is something inside). Alumaweld the joint, file it smooth, then slide the sleeve and alumaweld that at both ends - if you had to go that route.

Will that thing in the tube melt?

It is the base of the radiator, antenna is an old super maggie i really like. storms brought it down last week.

if tig welding is best route, then I can easily go that route. I have a shop a 1/2 mile away and he is very good at what he does.

I also think I only have one shot at this because of the location of the break right there.

any more info appreciated

P.S. i don't know diameter exact i can measure this evening, it is about an inch, just guessing.

if anyone knows what is under that bolt in picture of super maggie, please let me know.

Last edited:
Honestly? No matter what you do, that joint will always be compromised. It would take a very skilled welder to be able to weld that and it doesn't look like there is any room for reinforcement.

Can you just replace it with new tubing?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.