• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

AM, SSB handheld radio (Magnum 1012 Clone)

Eldorado828

8-2-8 in the Lonestar state
Feb 21, 2016
The Lonestar State
Just a few months ago the Magnum 1012 handheld from years back came up in another thread. Now this one will become available here in the US and it's an almost identical clone to the Magnum. It's got some drawbacks compared to the President Randy but it's ssb capable which is pretty cool.

Just a few months ago the Magnum 1012 handheld from years back came up in another thread. Now this one will become available here in the US and it's an almost identical clone to the Magnum. It's got some drawbacks compared to the President Randy but it's ssb capable which is pretty cool.

It ain't no clone! It's the same radio but continually in production for the EU market, where Magnum USA stopped selling these radios long ago.

I have many of these SSB hand-helds in almost all of the different configurations and variations. I really like them, quirks and all.

Let me know if you have any questions and I'm happy to help and can point you in the right direction.

Wonder when they will be available. I would consider buying that radio because the Scott's Radio claim it is AM FM & SSB. Also wonder what adapters will be available for it. I can't stand buying Alkaline AA batteries and that would be a deal Breaker.

Its interesting. The ssb hand held, wasn't wildly successful in the US, but in Europe, the Albrecht AE2990 and earlier radios are fairly popular and there are users making long distance contacts with them. Someone designed and built battery boxes for them that holds 21700 size batteries and even built an amp that attaches where the battery does. There are 2 versions of the amp with different power output. There's a facebook group for this radio if anyone is on facebook and wants to learn. I have a Cherokee AH-100 which is am and ssb only and I have Titan Roadpro RPSY-201 which is am/fm/ssb. I havent tried making long distance contacts with them, but will probably do so this summer when I have a little time..

I think I had a Cherokee SSB hand held. I bought the super long antenna for it and was pretty impressed with it. I could talk a few miles SSB to my father in law. I did sell it as battery type stuff and I don't get along. Usually batteries are discharged or dead when I'm ready to use them.
But it was kinda fun playing around with it.

Reactions: whiteastro
I did sell it as battery type stuff and I don't get along. Usually batteries are discharged or dead when I'm ready to use them.
I know exactly what your talking about. If what ever takes Alkaline battery it won't find a home at my place unless it will work with at least NMHD batterys. I'm not contributing to the Waste Stream any more than I have to.

A bought a BNC/TNC adapter for my Cherokee AH-100 so I could use the 4', center-loaded telescoping walkie talkie antenna that comes with the Realistic TRC 226. I have about a half dozen of the TRC 226s. They are solid performers. With the AH-100 using the 226's antenna, I've stood on sandbars all over the Florida Keys and talked skip all over the country - including Hawai'i and the Estado Libre Asociado (commonwealth) of Puerto Rico.

A bought a BNC/TNC adapter for my Cherokee AH-100 so I could use the 4', center-loaded telescoping walkie talkie antenna that comes with the Realistic TRC 226. I have about a half dozen of the TRC 226s. They are solid performers. With the AH-100 using the 226's antenna, I've stood on sandbars all over the Florida Keys and talked skip all over the country - including Hawai'i and the Estado Libre Asociado (commonwealth) of Puerto Rico.
I picked up that antenna with an adapter to try this summer. I picked up a realistic speaker mic, too.. I also have one of the 27mhz telescoping antennas you can get from amazon and ebay and the "tactical" 27mhz antenna you can buy. I'm curious to see what works best..

I picked up that antenna with an adapter to try this summer. I picked up a realistic speaker mic, too.. I also have one of the 27mhz telescoping antennas you can get from amazon and ebay and the "tactical" 27mhz antenna you can buy. I'm curious to see what works best..
I have the "tactical", the Cobra HATA, the 27" rubber, a non-loaded 46" telescoping and the center-loaded Radio Shack from the TRC 226 series. The latter consistently outperforms the others.

I have the "tactical", the Cobra HATA, the 27" rubber, a non-loaded 46" telescoping and the center-loaded Radio Shack from the TRC 226 series. The latter consistently outperforms the others.
Cool! Some of the pics Ive seen of the Albrecht AE2990 in use in Europe have had extended antennas, but I haven't found out which type. I did pick up one of the 3d printed battery boxes from a gentleman in Poland. It takes 3 21700 size li-ion batteries and is very well made. Ill have to figure out how to post some pics later.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.