• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

amateur manuals... arrgggh!

cdnabn49

Feb 27, 2012
amateur manuals :headbang - speaking from the point of a complete amateur I find the manuals leave a lot of information out. It is extremely confusing and requires a lot of question asking and frustration. I have nil experience on HAM radio - so if I sound frustrated, I am - it seems like the people who wrote the manuals failed to include basic information for users like me who are just getting into HAM and would be more apt to enjoy it more and thus spend more money in it. As it I have been in a state of confusion/cursing due to several things -
1) the course I took did nothing in regards to teaching how to use a radio.
2) the manual skips around and has chunks missing *for novice users - like me*

so instead of enjoying my rig I am quite frustrated at the fact I have no clue WTHeck :confused: is going on... I am the type of person that needs a hands on and I get it more then a theory guy so you can see my confusion... I guess I really need a sit down session(s) with some Elmers to get on the right path.

*** how about a link or a site(s) for beginners like me.... anyone? ***

Last edited:

Try to find a kind Elmer near you. He will be your best friend, and will offer you the kind of "hands-on" learning you require.

Good luck, and relax,

PR

cdn,
I think this goes back to the days when a lot of us experimented a lot before actually getting our licenses and also built our own equipment.

BUT . . . . I have to agree with you 100% as I am having a problem trying to figure out something that should be very simple on a radio I recently purchased. I am the type that can usually figure stuff out without a book at all but this thing has me stumped :( The manual almost looks like it left out a final step in programming.

As far as basic operating, I think that is something that should have been taught in whatever class you took to get your ticket. If not, the ARRL has some books on the subject that should help. Or, like the others mentioned, see if you can find a local club with some guys that are willing to help.

Field day is coming up soon and would be a perfect opportunity for you to help out a local club, meet some other local hams, and really get some good experience with operating. Plus it is a a fun time :)

not really a venting thread more of a newbie thread... I ended up buying a quick reference manual and between the two I've started to figure some stuff out - and I agree the course was great at more of the theoretical stuff but if I had my druthers I'd have taken an "operators" course first and then progressed. I ended up buying some software and it works great. I am going to get involved in some amateur radio events and meet some of the people and get some well learned advice.

The radio is a Yaesu FTM350AR

I really have to say I have received some great help , advise and encouragement... thanks guy's (y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.