• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Amateur radio certifications

ak rover

Jan 31, 2011
Soldotna, Alaska
Are there any specific certifications that radios have to meet to be allowed on the amateur bands? I've been reading a lot about the Wouxun radios that seem to be getting a lot of good feedback. All the Wouxun radios I have found FCC IDs for are certified for Part 90. I'm new to amateur radio but it is my understanding that Part 90 is commercial/business radio and Part 97 covers amateur radio. Anything specific I should look for when shopping for a radio as far as certifications? Are amateur band radios looser as far as requirement and certifications than other radio uses?

If a piece of amateur equipment uses a microprocessor (and most of them do), it has to meet Part 15 requirements which specify how strong the radiation from the equipment can be in various spectra. Beyond that, amateur equipment does not require certification. It's the operator's responsibility to ensure his signal meets bandwidth and spectral purity requirements.

The exception to the "no certification required" is for external RF amplifiers. See Part 97; there's a subparagraph on this subject.

When you see a new ham rig in QST, for example, and there's a note to the effect that "this transceiver cannot be sold in the USA, pending FCC approval", it's the Part 15 requirement that's holding the process up.

Thanks Beetle. That helps a lot. I actually started to read Part 97 assuming that's where I would find the answer but then realized I don't have the attention span to read it all.

Nice reply Beetle! Couldn't have said it better myself. I'f I could have came up with an answer:unsure:

And AKA Rover, You said a mouthful there. That sucker is way too much for me to read too. And make sence out of.

And yet hams are required to abide by what's in Part 97 (and CBers by Part 95).

A big problem in understanding these and other parts is that the requirements of Part 15 also apply to just about every device that radiates an RF signal, whether it's meant for communications or just happens to be generated as a result of proper operation. Have fun reading :whistle::blink:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.