• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Amp and power supply suggestions

Broke Spoke

KN4JQP
Mar 26, 2012
Deatsville, AL
I have a Galaxy dx959 single mosfet final and will be getting it tuned soon. I plan to run it at a 2-3 watt dk with about a 20+ watt swing. I'm looking for an amp that will produce around 500 watts and that can be used on ssb as well. Also, what size amp power supply will run the amp? Any suggestions?

stick with a proven amp and pwr suply,

TX Star 500 or 667 and a Astron 50 or 70 amp pwr suply....stay away from pyramid and others,if they fail you have 24 volts going into everything you are running.There is hotter amps,but the sound like crap on ssb.And splatter all over.73 de JW

I have a Galaxy dx959 single mosfet final and will be getting it tuned soon. I plan to run it at a 2-3 watt dk with about a 20+ watt swing. I'm looking for an amp that will produce around 500 watts and that can be used on ssb as well. Also, what size amp power supply will run the amp? Any suggestions?

texas star 500 . mine needed about 1 1/5 to 1 1/2 watts for a 100-125 watt deadkey IIRC . a 350 (at 200-250 pep)will make %99 of the same contacts as the 500 will . a iota 55 will power your radio and the 350 very easily and cleanly ..... and its a less expensive set up . but if you're set on the 500 and can afford to feed it go for it .

I agree with the 500, stay away from the 667.
They both use 4 2879`s but the 667 has a built in driver, you do not need.
It just eats more current and makes more heat.
Put a fan on the 500.
Keep dead key below 150 on AM and let it do what it wants to do on SSB.

Jeff

I have a Galaxy 350 2 pill. It will do about 225 watts on am. Not sure what it does on ssb. So all I really need is a good power supply. A 55-60 amp ps should run both radio and amp, right? I would like a switchable ps or solid state ps but don't know much about them. When I was into radios years back, you had to use the big briefcase sized pyramid power supplies...lol

If you go with a switch supply, make sure its a good quality one. Some are, well a little lacking on filtering. That will give you some noise on the recieve.

I have a Galaxy 350 2 pill. It will do about 225 watts on am. Not sure what it does on ssb. So all I really need is a good power supply. A 55-60 amp ps should run both radio and amp, right? I would like a switchable ps or solid state ps but don't know much about them. When I was into radios years back, you had to use the big briefcase sized pyramid power supplies...lol

if that galaxy 350 is AB biased and filtered (like i think it is) it's a awesome little CB amp .

IOTA Engineering DLS-55 12VDC Battery Charger and Power Converter - 55 Amps

Iota DLS-55 12 volt 55 amp regulated battery charger

I could be wrong but I seem to remember that the rule of thumb is that for every 100w you need 10a of power. Most PS's have two ratings of output, constant and peak. So one would want a PS that will give constant amperage due to voltage drop when you key up. I used to run a straight 6 transistor (6 pill) amp and fed it with three Astron 50 amp PS's. They were designed to be connected together via a separate lug that used circuitry that made them work together, in addition to the power lug connections. They had an internal voltage adjustment so I bumped them up to 14.5v to deal with any voltage drop. Each one was rated at 37 amp constant and 53 amp peak. The amp worked great and did a good 1.2kw on SSB driven with 100w from the rig.

Reactions: 1 person
You are very right.

you figure 10 amps for every 100 wts.And also stick with the astron pwr supply.I have a astron 35m thats 17yrs old and on every day from 11zam till 10pm...and also a astron35 thats 12 yrs old.Stick with a proven winner,i had a pyramid 52 that got me,24 volts to a radio,just a 148gtl and a boomer 250hd not much of a loss,and since i have heard many stories about them,so went to astron,no problems .You have a great radio,the Gal959,stick with a good amp and pwr sup.73 de JW Be Radio active...hehe

Here are those pics Booty. I'm not sure what pills are in this thing. I assume they are 2789s if I'm getting 200+ watts out of them. If anyone knows, please tell me.

Attachments

• IMG_20120403_084810-1-1.jpg
    IMG_20120403_084810-1-1.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20120403_084834-1-1.jpg
    IMG_20120403_084834-1-1.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 45
That is a well built Amp, and I bet it has 2879`s under the copper strap, get you a good power supply and run it, you will be fine, it is half of a 500 and i doubt anyone on the other end will ever know the difference.
Figure 30 Amps for the amp to give you some headroom, plus what the radio draws, use the money you would have spent on the Texas star and get a 50 Amp supply, done deal.

Jeff

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.