• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

amps

rustyc

Oct 30, 2011
what do i need to know about fatboy amp going to install one in my truck iknow the antenna needs to be replaced radio is peaked at 30 watts going to use a 2x3897 iknow this is not legal what can i expect from this combo

what do i need to know about fatboy amp going to install one in my truck iknow the antenna needs to be replaced radio is peaked at 30 watts going to use a 2x3897 iknow this is not legal what can i expect from this combo

What do you mean by "what can i expect from this combo".

SPLATTER:whistle:

Reactions: 2 people

Are you sure the fat boy amp you are thinking of has 2x3897
most common is the 2x2879.
If you'r cb has a 3.5 or 4 watt carrier and it swings to 30 watts it should be ok.

Two 2897s are good for about 200 watts peak output.
Depends on the input as to how much drive is needed to get full peak output and stay clean.
The rule on AM is for 100 percent modulation the carrier power will increase 4 times for peak power.
That is for 200 watts peak, you cannot drive with more than 50 watts carrier.
4 times 50 = 200.
Even at this level, the amplifier may not have enough cooling area.
A power meter will only show you a low average because the meter cannot move fast enough to see modulation peaks.
Depending in the bias class, the cleaness of the driver etc the final result may be a bit dirty at the 200 watt level as well as short final life.

I think you mean 2879 final since there is no such thing as a 3897. You can go to the Fatboy web site and read their inflated wattage claims. fatboyamp.com

With your radio set at 3 watts dead key swinging 25-30 watts should get you at least 275 watts. If you can maintain steady voltage above 14 then 300-325 watts should be possible.

You will see 160 to 180 pep from that amp with that radio more or less depending on how stout your power supply is.

dxChat
Help Users