• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

and the fun begins

ThirstyBoots440

Local Trash Talker
Oct 27, 2011
Richmond, VA
Amidst all the high priced antennas on the market, and being that I'm generally broke after bills get paid, I've taken it on myself to build my own set of antennas. Granted most of the time I'll be running one antenna, but when I want to close off the back door I'm building a second. Solid copper construction with delrin insulator, stainless whip. These are going to be fully polished and I may clear coat to protect the finish and keep them from turning green. I'm currently building two pair of antennas, two with a 10.5" bottom shaft, and two with a 20" bottom shaft. I'll most likely go with a 8 wrap design to keep the whip length down, but I'll see how it goes. Pics to come soon!

If you haven't priced that delrin yet, either go before you pay bills, or sit down before they give you the price. ;)
- 'Doc

Doc, for the pieces I'll need precut, I'm getting them at $2.50 for a pair of sticks here locally. Sound too bad? I haven't priced anywhere else really, I've even thought of going acrylic maybe due to translucent color options...just unsure of the strength and durability.

All things considered, that's not a bad price. The only way I've seen delrin priced is by the cubic inch. That can be very $urpri$ing! Acrylics also have some disadvantages, so if you're satisfied with the cost of delrin, I'd stick with it.
- 'Doc

(delrin can be had in different colors too, but you will certainly pay for it.)

So the shafts are cut and predrilled for the coil and fittings, pretty much all supplies are on hand now and things are going together, slowly but surely. Between working 14 hour days at work, it's taking a little longer than planned but the money I'm making is more than helping fund this project :D

Hopefully this weekend I'll have progress and a final product for you guys to see.

So far they don't weigh much, and the 20" bottom shaft is perfect for clearing the cab on the work pickup.

Attachments

• IMAG0325.JPG
    IMAG0325.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 186
some good reading there, and it somewhat looks like I'm going after the same thing, but I've got a few of my own tricks up my sleeve. It's all in the fun of building things, the wife tells me I should go get my ham ticket and be happy...I just can't clean up my mouth long enough lol

Booty, where you located at in the River City? VCC area here

i used to live over there near ashland , but now i live in deer run on southside on hull st just pass 288 . where are you ?

be sure to share your tricks ..... there's other folks here that like to home-brew antennas too (y)

Well, after spending 8 days in lockdown, I can finally say that the antennas will be finished this week. I was going to finish them the weekend before last but got pulled and found out there was a warrant for my arrest that I knew nothing about....gotta love it right? Pics to come, updates soon.

Well, after spending 8 days in lockdown, I can finally say that the antennas will be finished this week. I was going to finish them the weekend before last but got pulled and found out there was a warrant for my arrest that I knew nothing about....gotta love it right? Pics to come, updates soon.

:pop:

At least you had time to reflect on your project. Hope you didn't have any cellies wanting to drop the maul on you. :)

Of the antenna or Bubba?

Reactions: 1 person
I had time alright, spent a lot of it trying to figure out what the hell happened to get me in there to begin with. Then trying to figure out how to get back home to the wife and kids before Christmas. All I have left to do is solder the cap on and install the stinger. I've seriously got to get new batteries for the camera.

No pics of Bubba guys, sorry. He didn't want the shame of a pic after I was done showing him who the real man of the block was :LOL:

I had time alright, spent a lot of it trying to figure out what the hell happened to get me in there to begin with. Then trying to figure out how to get back home to the wife and kids before Christmas. All I have left to do is solder the cap on and install the stinger. I've seriously got to get new batteries for the camera.

No pics of Bubba guys, sorry. He didn't want the shame of a pic after I was done showing him who the real man of the block was :LOL:

What did you show him?

:D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.