• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Annual Armed Forces Day Crossband Military/Amateur Radio Test

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
The Annual Armed Forces Day Crossband Military/Amateur Radio Communications Test will be held on Saturday May 14, 2011. This event which is sponsored by the U.S Army, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard, and Marine Corp is a great way to make some neat contacts with various bases, MARS stations and special event military stations. Participants will receive recognition from the stations they made contact with. For the full list of frequencies, stations, and times, refer to the attached document

Attachments

• AMC_Test_2011.pdf
    26.8 KB · Views: 208

Military Contacts

I was able to work two military radio stations on 20 meters SSB:

NAJ, NAVMARCORMARS RADIO STATION, Great Lakes Naval Station, IL Operator Roger .............broadcasting on 14.467.5 and listening on 14.223

WUG2B, USACE Memphis District Office, TN....................broadcasting 14.663 listening 14.333

... and it's just amazing the number of operators (both long time and recently licensed) that are trying to work them on the OOB freq.:pop:

The real quetion is why were these frequency's selected to begin with. For example....14.223....is that because the Military only wanted to work Extra's? I looked at the link listed in the first post and decided to stay away. Obviously I just did't understand their motives. It listed frequency's as 20 meters. 14.467.5 is not within the amateur radio 20 meter band. Someone fill me in so I can learn something here.

Harold

The real quetion is why were these frequency's selected to begin with. For example....14.223....is that because the Military only wanted to work Extra's? I looked at the link listed in the first post and decided to stay away. Obviously I just did't understand their motives. It listed frequency's as 20 meters. 14.467.5 is not within the amateur radio 20 meter band. Someone fill me in so I can learn something here.

Harold

The frequency 14.467 is 20 meters, just not within the the bandwidth allowed licensed amateurs to operate. 20 meters refers the size of the wavelength, but of course you knew that. The military operates on HF wherever they see fit, usually referred to MARS bands.

The real quetion is....14.223....is that because the Military only wanted to work Extra's?..fill me in so I can learn something here.

Harold

MARS really has little direct military linking. in fact, there wasonly one event station operated by active duty military people.

the "powers that be" in MARS, really don't want anything to do with any radio operator unless they are a coded Amateur Extra.:whistle:

of course, they won't actually say that, but, (wink, wink) thats the truth.

Don't fall for the "when all else fails" hype, MARS is an organization that no longer has any reason to exist, it has been superceeded by the internet, cell phones, ect.

:pop::pop:

MARS really has little direct military linking. in fact, there wasonly one event station operated by active duty military people.

the "powers that be" in MARS, really don't want anything to do with any radio operator unless they are a coded Amateur Extra.:whistle:

of course, they won't actually say that, but, (wink, wink) thats the truth.

Don't fall for the "when all else fails" hype, MARS is an organization that no longer has any reason to exist, it has been superceeded by the internet, cell phones, ect.

:pop::pop:

Direct military linking has nothing to do with Active duty soldiers. Do you even realize how many civilian employees work for the military? I suppose none of those have a "direct military link"? BTW, the latest DoD instruction that repurposed MARS has nothing to do with the internet, cell phones, etc. The DoD didn't "hype" anything in it's instruction document. It set out a very clear purpose...have you read it?

BTW, as the state training officer for Navy MARS, I think I'm as qualified as there is to make the statement that we don't discourage anyone who is capable of operating HF from participating in MARS. You don't have to be an Extra class licensee, nor would that license level even apply to any of the MARS training. Regardless of license class, I'd guess that about 80% of the people that apply never even make it through the training.

Harold

those are the freqs you listen, they would tell you where to relay...

Direct military linking has nothing to do with Active duty soldiers. Do you even realize how many civilian employees work for the military? I suppose none of those have a "direct military link"? BTW, the latest DoD instruction that repurposed MARS has nothing to do with the internet, cell phones, etc. The DoD didn't "hype" anything in it's instruction document. It set out a very clear purpose...have you read it?

BTW, as the state training officer for Navy MARS, I think I'm as qualified as there is to make the statement that we don't discourage anyone who is capable of operating HF from participating in MARS. You don't have to be an Extra class licensee, nor would that license level even apply to any of the MARS training. Regardless of license class, I'd guess that about 80% of the people that apply never even make it through the training.

gee, LOTS of fuzzy logic in the above paragraphs.

"Direct military linking has nothing to do with Active duty soldiers."

??? i STRONGLY disagree with that concept.

"Do you even realize how many civilian employees work for the military? I suppose none of those have a "direct military link"?

NO, they don't,. they are CIVILIAN employees

"the latest DoD instruction that repurposed MARS has nothing to do with the internet, cell phones, etc....have you read it?"

i assume you are refering to DoD inst. 4650.02 yes, i have read it, and THAT WHY i said that MARS has no reason to exist.
they have "lost" their own "customer", the ACTIVE DUTY military member. The traditional land or sea based MARS Radio Phone Patch is largely a thing of the past because land and sea based MARS stations have been dismantled . Morale and welfare messages are no longer the largest activity in MARS due to the increased use of the Internet and e-mail by deployed military personnel. .

the DoD instruction only reorganizes (Navy/Marine Corps)MARS as another agency very similar to the Coast Guard Aux. or the Civil Air Patrol. MARS now has an increased role in providing interoperability communications between Army National Guard and Air National Guard forces and civilian state agencies .

"as the state training officer for Navy MARS..."

then perhaps you may want to inform the amateurs on 7.173 that they need to refrain from using their MARS calls on the amateur bands:D

"You don't have to be an Extra class licensee, nor would that license level even apply to any of the MARS training."

i agree, that is what the instruction says, however,..... i stand by my previous comment.

but, just for discussion, as you state: "... nor would that license level even apply to any of the MARS training." if thats the case, then why is a valid AMATEUR license even required to operate on the MARS freqs?:pop: why can't "billy-bob" the CB'er be trained too?

don't get me wrong, in the past MARS was a great organization, i operated the MARS station at numerous military units, however, today they are just not needed to support the ACTIVE DUTY military member.

today they are just not needed to support the ACTIVE DUTY military member

The CO's at the bases that we serve where we have active stations in their EOC disagree with you. I don't need to argue with you...you can argue with them.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.