• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Another Ohms question

boomer111

May 7, 2005
I used to see R50 and X0. Now I can only get R57 and X0. I can adjust a bit to get a R53 X5. Which should I go with.

I get very small reflect on the cheapo meter at the R57 X0 spot, maybe 1/5 of a watt at 150 DK

Antenna is a predator 10K comp mounted via magnet mount on a 4 Runner.

I guess my real question is how important is the ohms reading compared to the X factor.

I think I am good to go in either case. I am running a straight 4 pill "biased" AB with a stryker 440.

Last edited:

I wouldn't worry about either setting, but what is Z when R=57 and X=0? Z=50/X=0 would be nice :D

That '57 ohm' reading is so close to 'normal' that it isn't going to make any recognizable or significant difference. The 'X', or reactance can make more difference than the resistance (within reason). Neither reading is 'bad'. It would be interesting to find out -why- the difference is there, but I seriously doubt if I would waste any good worrying over it.
- 'Doc

@359,
You said: What is Z when R=50 and X=0 ? ..

Why that question ?
Out of which parts does Z actually exist ?

Isnt.. Za= Ra+jXa

@ To the guy asking the question...
It wont mather though i would go for the 57 ohm solution with no reactance.
If possible i would also inverstigate why you have now a additional 7 ohms.
Or put more effort in the "ground" of the antenna (if possible at all).

Bare also in mind that a 1:1 SWR doesnt tell anything about efficienty.
You migth find this interesting:
http://www.worldwidedx.com/cb-antennas/20611-5-8wave-vs-64wave-5.html#post306733

Kind regards,

Henry HPSD
19sd348

Actually the antenna is different as is the coax. Same brand coax and went from a regular Predator 10K to the Comp model. Both have the same length bottom shaft of 22in. and both are tuned at the same length for same freq. I have another coax, new, that is already assembled with the ring ends for the mount. I should give it a try and see if it changes.

On a side note FG Best assembled 4 coaxes for me many years ago. I will be down to my last one. Any suggesting on where to get some made up with the ring ends for the predator mount?

I have tried myself in the past but do a lousy job at it. I can do the Pl ends ok but not the ring terminal ends with shrink wrap.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.