• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ANT help

biferi

Jul 29, 2008
I am going to make a Diepole ANT and it will have a Coaxel Cable as the feed Line.

So I know you can just Strip the Cable into it's two halfs. The center pin will be for the one side of the ANT. And the Outer Shield will be for the other end of the ANT.

But intead of me doing it all by hand do they have something that you can just screew the Coaxel Cable onto and it will have two Tabs coming off it for the Left Lead and the Right lead???
Thanks

yes it is a called a balun-- for a standard dipole i would use a 4:1 current balun- depending on what band you are going to cut you wire for- you might want to build a OCF dipole- "off center fed " for a 80m it would be a total length of 136' 90 feet one side and 46 on other.. this here should give you if done right from 80meters to 6 meters.

Please help

Can I use a
so-239 chassis connector

It looks like you just screew the Coaxel Cable onto one end and there are two screews for connecting Left and Right Leads to.

Is this ok??
If Not please give me the name of the Part I need and maybe ware to get it I can't find any parts anyware.
Thanks

Or you can make a dipole without a balun.

Solder one leg of the dipole to the center of an so239.

Solder a ring terminal to another and attach it to one of the four holes on the so239.

Use stranded wire if possible.

Use an insulator to hold the wires, as to not make the so239 hold the coax and antennas weight. You can make one from pvc water pipe.

http://www.ldgelectronics.com/manuals/FreeDipoleManual.pdf

If you take a look at most of the typical center insulator for dipoles you'll find that it's basically a section of plastic with an SO-239 coaxial connector in the center. That 'chunk' of plastic is just a convenient place to make connections with wire, and takes the strain off of the soldered joints of the SO-239. They are not difficult to make, can be made out of almost anything that's an insulator and can take the strain put on it. Usually has a shape that lends it's self to being hung by something through a hole or two drilled in it. As elaborate or as simple as you want to make it.
Want to use a balun? It isn't necessary at HF, but have at it if you want. Use a 1:1.
If you are desperate enough, I've seen the plastic 'rings' from a six-pack used for insulators too (they work).
It may be a little 'tek-nickle' but ain't no rocket science!
- 'Doc

I just used a thick piece of plastic I found laying around. Actually I'm not sure what it is...it kind've reminds me of cutting board material. Maybe it's delrin? Anyway, it was some scrap that I just cut into a square and drilled two holes through it for bolts. On one side of the bolt under the head goes the feedline and the other side under the nut and washer goes the wire. Then I drilled another hole and ran rope through it to raise and lower. You can do the strain relef a lot of different ways. Just keep it simple and use whatever you have laying around the house. You'd be surprised at how many uses you can find for zip-ties!

i just made a vertical dipole using coax. Took 50 ft of coax with a connector on one end and nuthing on the other. did the math for 20m an cut the wire I was gonna use for that band. soldered one leg onto the shield and one leg to the center. Took the end soldered to the shield and that went up in the air first as high as I could get it, left the other leg hang down and tied it off so it wasn't blowing in the wind. The feed point is prolly 30-35ft off the ground. checked the swr on the meter and had to drop antenna a cpl of times and trim a little off each end to get it to 1.1-1 thru the whole 20m band. NO tuner required :) First key up on 14.270, and made a contact into England. Second contact was into California. NO balun and NO tuner :)

OK I know how to do this kind of ANT by hand.
But if I don't want to hand cut the Coaxel cable into the Left and Right sides I wanted to know of a Device I could just connect the Cable to and it would give me two Taps for the Left and Right.

Someone did post the name of one but I can not fiond it.
Please give me the whole name and mabe ware it is to buy.
I am in the USA Thankx

balun help

So a turns Balancet to Unbalancet ANT or what is that for??

I looked on the net and found something about a Balun is a device for turning a Balanced ANT to Unbalancet.

A Dipole ANT is Balanced so I would not use this RIGHT.
Or am I getting miss information and not understanding something?

biferi,
Really want to understand it all? Oh boy, get ready to do a lot of learning! Not here, and not from me though.
Very simply, a balun changes between a 'balanced' and 'un-balanced' state. Between an antenna that may or may not be 'balanced', and a feed line which also may or may not be 'balanced'. There are balanced and un-balanced antennas AND feed lines. Putting one of those baluns in the appropriate place is certainly what they are designed to be used for. The 'trick' is in knowing which thingy is, and is not, balanced. That's where that learning comes in, knowing just what 'balanced' means, and which thingy is and isn't, and why.
Coaxial feed line is not a balanced feed line. If you feed an unbalanced antenna with it, there's no reason to use a balun. If you feed a balanced antenna with coax, there is a reason to use a balun. Depending on a whole lot of things, sometimes using a balun is more trouble than it's really worth, too. Lots of opinions about that particular aspect, so draw your own conclusions on what is 'necessary'.
The 'other' aspect of a balun is that it's a transformer, and can change impedances from one side to the other side of it. Exactly like a voltage transformer can change voltages (240Vac to 120Vac). That give you an option when using 50 ohm coax and having an antenna that isn't close to 50 ohms, but to maybe 100, or 300, or whatever. Handy at times, and also misunderstood at times. Knowing which way that transformation needs to go determines which way around that balun has to connect. Otherwise, it's like getting that 240/120Vac transformer turned in the wrong direction... not very good, right? And if that ain't enough, baluns are frequency determined. May work well in one range of frequencies, crappy in a different range of frequencies. Great, just great, more crap to learn! I warned ya'... ;)
- 'Doc

I just love this s4#^! Don't you?

Thanks for ant help

Ok I am not going to use a Balun for making my ANT.

OK this is what I think. I don't want a FREQ depanded Balun I would like my ANT to work as well as it can on all FREQ.

So this is it my Radio takes an 8th of an inch Jack and I know what kind of Connector I need to get my Coaxle to connect to that.

So I whent to the web page you gave me a link to for making a none Balun ANT.

But I could not see the page to good did they sell a connector for one end of the Coaxle to give me Left and Right taps??

So I whent to the web page you gave me a link to for making a none Balun ANT.

But I could not see the page to good did they sell a connector for one end of the Coaxle to give me Left and Right taps??

I presume you're talking about this link:

http://www.alphadeltacom.com/pg4.html

You just put a PL-259 on the antenna end of the coax, and plug it into the S0-239 On the top, there are three holes. The center one is to support the whole antenna. You run the left and right antenna wires through the holes on left and right, respectively. Wrap the wire around itself and then loop it back to connect to the wing nuts with wire terminals. Done.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.