• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Antenna on Jeep

Ralphdb

Aug 22, 2005
Lakeland Fl.
ralphdb.20megsfree.com
I read a lot of post and now are really confused. I have the 4' Firestick from years ago. I installed it on my jeep using the coax from my 4' marine Antenna. they are both top loaded there is no ground on the marine antenna base. cheap molded thing. I cut off a length of coax @ 12" that was soldered center wire to ground on the dead end and the center wire soldered with the other. so I cut it off. I hooked up my MidLand international swr meter it has a 2 position switch. FWD and REF and a knob to Set the needle I think I used it right by setting it with ref and reading my SWR with the FWD well it is in the middle of the RED. not good. I can shorten my cable to help it is still stock length. I read about the 18' myth. and don't mind cutting the coax.. I could cut about 2' and see if this brings it at least out of the Red. or should I try the marine Antenna first to see if there is a differance in the SWR. I know with the Marine ant the lake is the Ground plane.. So I am asking what should I do. ?? Thanks for any Help..

Test

Ok I went out and hooked up the antenna's both were 1/2 way into the red.. the Coax is not made to use a ground. so now I shall go buy a new coax. The firestick looks good but with out a ground point I can't check the Ohm's to find a short . the outer plastic has a few knicks but no cuts on the wire. the marine antenna is about 6 inchs longer. and would take a beating from a tree.. Here is what I want to try . I want to cut the coax down to 9 foot. then check everything again. I still would like to understand what the 12 inch coax with the dead end soldered was for and if I should make another.. If cutting the coax and making a ground at the attackment area does not make a SWR differance I will buy a new Cable and try again.
[/img]

Not sure about how those marine antennas and coax work's, but what ya need to do, is first buy ya some new coax. (rg-8, or "mini-8" would be best)

If you just want to use 9', then cut-off that, and install two PL-259 conector's (one on each end) and your ready to set the swr.

Not familiar with that meter you have, but they all work about the same. Go to channel 20, or what ever channel you use the most. If you use channel 19 the most, then go to 20...

Use the "forward" part of the meter to set swr. Calibrate it, then check swr. Now if it's still hitting in the red, you either have a bad conection in one of the PL-259 conectors, or the antenna mount is not grounded good. (or bad antenna)

Next I would make sure the antenna has a real good ground. This is generaly what cause's high swr.....You may need to run a peice of ground strap, from the antenna mount, to someplace on the frame of the jeep...MOUNT HAS TO BE GROUNDED!

Firestik's can be ajusted for swr, by takeing the cap off the top, and pulling out some of the wire from the load, and cutting it off. Just do small amounts at a time, (like 1/2 inch) Because once you pull it out...it aint going back in!

Before cutting any of the wire, check and see what the meter reads on channel's 1 and 40. Then each time you cut off a peace of wire, recheck those channels to see if swr is comeing down or not.

Hope this helps some...JJD

Just stop cutting the coax to fix you SWR problem. That's the wrong approach. Why don't you tell us about the mount, stud, and the other parts of the install first?

f2ae1929.jpg

The Coax and nut for ant. are molded into this little white thing..I will go to Radio shack and get new cable and a good mount that takes a Rg-8 connector. this will at least ground the cable to the Jeep. I will also buy a length of cable. about 12' and make up a new cable. then I will put the SWR meter and if it still is in the Red I will be back whining... If it shows up on the lower channels about 1:3 I will remove a turn at a time off the firestick.. thanks for your help so far.. I am not looking for great performance due to the soft top on the Jeep.

Ralphdb said:
f2ae1929.jpg

The Coax and nut for ant. are molded into this little white thing..I will go to Radio shack and get new cable and a good mount that takes a Rg-8 connector. this will at least ground the cable to the Jeep. I will also buy a length of cable. about 12' and make up a new cable. then I will put the SWR meter and if it still is in the Red I will be back whining... If it shows up on the lower channels about 1:3 I will remove a turn at a time off the firestick.. thanks for your help so far.. I am not looking for great performance due to the soft top on the Jeep.
NOTE: RG-8 or sometimes called "mini-8" is the coax you need.
The conector is a PL-259. Thats the thing that go's on the coax. (to conect it to the radio and antenna mount)

One kind of mount that I see used on alot of Jeep's, is a "Ball-Mount". These require however, 3-small holes to be drilled, for the mounting screw's...but the Ball-Mount can handle just about anykind of antenna. From the 102'' whip, to the Big Coil type antennas like Predator 10K, Mr.Coily's, Monkey Mades, and your Firestik......

Radio Shack may carrie a RG-8 coax cable, already made-up, with the Pl-259 conectors on it...I would check first, because if you have never installed the conectors, If you do it wrong, you will be back where you started, with high-swr problem. -JJD

Yes I have soldered the connectors with good luck..
I always check them with the Ohm meter to make sure there are no shorts from the braided wire. the Mini rg-8 sounds good I will get some tomorrow. I think radio shack has a 10' one with connectors Maybe I will get that one and try it. I will let you know what happens tomorrow..

New mount and cable

I went a purched a new 18' RG8-X and connector for the Mount. the ends were allready on the cable. I checked everthing with the Ohm meter for shorts and Open connections. I hooked up the SWR Meter and on Channel 1 I got 2.4 swr on channel 19 I got 3.2 on channel 40 it was in the Red maybe a 4.2. I followd directions from Fire Stick and my mother-in-law was not standing behind the jeep.. The only thing I have not done yet was run another ground from the mount to the Jeep Frame. I will do that before I mess with making the coil shorter.. what else do I need to do.

f2a7bf2f.jpg

I did talk to a base unit bleeding about 4 channels on 40 He said he was about 8 mile and could hear me fine. the toploaded coil is sticking up over the ragtop about 8 inches. I ran new 10 ga wire direct from a Fuse at the battery. will hook up lights to this wire that is the reason for 10 gage. The CB shop gave me a hard time about "THE LAW" that you must use 18' of Coax.. I told him I wanted 12' and he read to me when it said on the Antenna wrapper to use 18' so I lost on that one but it seems I have only 1 small coil left good thing he talked me out of it..LOL

If the guy told you it's basicly a "LAW" that you have to use 18' of coax, the guy dosent know his head from his as_ "tail".

From looking at those pic's of your antenna, and going by what you said about the antenna sticking up over your rag-top by 8''. I would say to try a different antenna.(longer one)

Try a 102'' whip.(this is what alot of jeep owner's use) or even a longer Firestik...Need to get it up over the roof line more.

Also, you may have a bad antenna....Best to try a antenna that can be tuned, by moveing the stinger up and down....hard to do that with those fiberglass antennas.....But sounds like you defently have a ground problem somewhere for your swr to be so high. ;)

If your interested i have antennas in the 6'10 size ,,, looking at your mount i would be happy to set you up with a new coily antenna and a matching mount to go on your jeep,My antennas are very light, and also very strong. The whips have more flex than other,,as i also do go off road,i know what a flexable setup is all about ...anyway if your interested i can set you up with a brand new coily 18" dx antenna and a good mount to go on your jeep.They have been used and tested with flat swr reports and work great in general..I can see from where your mounting it,that you would have nothing but whip sticking up and mine are more flexable,,,Even better if you want to send me your mount your using right now, i will build you a custom mount including good coax, that will fit exactly where your mounted now so you don't have to change or drill holes....73sss Let me know the majority of my work is custom stuff....Thanks WWW.MRCOILY.COM

It is possible to get a real low SWR on a jeep....that's the vehicle I own. Your SWR is better on the lower frequencies right now. That means the antenna is too long. Shorten it up a little bit at a time and you'll get it. Also, make sure you're not doing this in the garage or right next to a building.

Oh yeah...that CB shop guy is full of it about 18' and so is the Firestik web instructions on that same topic. They both need to do a little more study on the subject.

Moleculo! I think you are the man that wrote this.
http://www.stu-offroad.com/misc/myth-1.htm
and I have to agree with it as it is written.. I will go out and ground the antenna to the Frame to make sure there is a good ground.. then after checking the SWR and it has not improved I will start removing a turn at a time from the Top loaded coil.. I see that the other guy that replied wants me to buy another New Coax to use with his Antenna .. I bet it is 18' also. I guess he didn't read the entire post . Just enough to make a sale.. Sorry for ranting here . I feel you are correct and Will let you know how well it worked. If I talked Barefoot for 8 miles , reworked radio to 9 Watt.. could have gone more I guess .. Oh before I make any more changes I will move away from the Steel garage door even though it is up.LOL

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.