• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Antenna placement

my wilson will tune where its at but the ohms [r] is only 44 i believe. and x=0 on a
few channels where i talk mostly.yes call kale every part is suppoed to be
replaceable. id also reccommend going to a smaller shaft 17 inch for on
the roof.

The shorter bottom shaft does not tune as well. I tried it. Got get the coil higher for less reflect.

I was the first to ask kale for a longer bottom shaft.

He made me a 21 in. later he started offering the 22 in. as an option.

You can search forever for the magical spot where the antenna has a "perfect", non-reactive match to the feedline ... the spot where it's "flat" across the whole band - meaning the whole HF spectrum.

Or, you find the place where it works and get on the air. If an amplifier balks at 1.5:1, it's not worth the money - and it's illegal anyway.

I would love to have a mobile antenna like that. resonate from 1.8-30 mhz. LOL
rich

How much bandwidth an antenna has is inversely proportional to how well it functions. Or, as bandwidth goes up performance goes down.

To further add to that, even the longest antennas in a mobile environment are highly inefficient at the lower frequency ham bands. In some cases you would be doing well to get 2% or 3% efficiency, and that is through the longest antenna you can reasonably put on a vehicle during mobile operation and a setup where everything is as good as it can possibly be. Think about how well an antenna would work when 97% to 98% of your transmitted signal does you absolutely no good, and when it comes to reception things are just as bed. That being said, people have done it and made contacts, so it is definitely possible to do. To put that in perspective, 160 meters will see that 9 foot CB whip like a CB would see a 6 or 7 inch antenna. Remind me again, how well does a CB work with that short of an antenna?

The DB

You can search forever for the magical spot where the antenna has a "perfect", non-reactive match to the feedline ... the spot where it's "flat" across the whole band - meaning the whole HF spectrum.

Or, you find the place where it works and get on the air. If an amplifier balks at 1.5:1, it's not worth the money - and it's illegal anyway.

The fun is in the search..

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.