• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Antenna question

another m400

cte international has one at copper goes for $49.99 , m400 with another
part number. anyone heard of this?

Net control here on a local 10 meter net uses the old starduster, says it is a great antenna and has a good receive.

Re-enforces what Marconi test results show.

The antenna is just a good performing antenna.

Reactions: 2 people
Thank you all for the information. I will get this up and running as soon as weather permits. It is around 10 degrees here.

sirio m400, cte

tx hotrod, the cte version of a starduster at copper is a skylab t233. copper has reviews on that one. one review says you have to drill out the so-239 to fit a pl-259. not enough room to correctly fit the connector. Then I went to amazon and read the reviews of the sirio m400 and really not flattering. I see
now why people are hunting up the older versions of antennas!

Think the original Starduster literature said that it had 5db gain.
No chance; more like 2db gain.
Just a little over-rated perhaps - eh?

cb_mag_dec_1973_pg04.png

Reactions: 1 person
Any gain figure with out the 'qualifier' on the end of it, the 'd' for dipole or 'i' for isotropic, is meaningless. That 'd' or 'i' tells you what something has gain over, what it is being compared to. Without knowing what an antenna is being compared with the gain rating doesn't mean anything. It could be compared to a beer can in your yard, for instance, and whatever it is it'd probably have lots of gain.
The industry standard for gain comparison is either half wave dipole. That holds true for a 'real live' comparison or an isotropic one as far as gain is concerned. A typical 1/4 wave vertical has a negative gain. A half wave antenna has zero, or unity gain (that's what everything is compared to). And a 5/8 wave antenna has some gain, not much, less than 2 dBd, but at least some. There are a lot of things that can make those figures change a bit, but that's the basic gain of those three types of antennas.
There are a number of 'ways' to misconstrue those gain figures and antenna manufacturers take advantage of every one of them to inflate their product's 'gain'. It's advertising, has little relation to reality, you know?
The biggest difference between those three antennas are their radiation patterns, their shape. Not the 'size' of those patterns but their shape, 'where' they put a signal. Out put power determines the 'size' of those patterns. That's a very 'simple' way of explaining it and there are factors that can change radiation patterns sizes and shapes. It's not fixed, it's variable to some degree.
That 'negative' gain figure for a 1/4 wave antenna certainly does not mean they are not good antennas, they are. It's just a -relative- thingy. Getting too tied up with gain figures isn't the best thing in the world to do without understanding exactly what they mean.
- 'Doc

tx hotrod, the cte version of a starduster at copper is a skylab t233. copper has reviews on that one. one review says you have to drill out the so-239 to fit a pl-259. not enough room to correctly fit the connector. Then I went to amazon and read the reviews of the sirio m400 and really not flattering. I see
now why people are hunting up the older versions of antennas!

yes they have a review on the cte. however the one they sell now is sirio

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.