• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Home Antenna tower as abstract art

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
This past weekend I visited the Nevada Museum of Art in Reno, NV. One of the galleries was sculptures by a guy named Cannupa Hanska Luger. I was surprised at the subject matter of this piece called The Keep, so I took a photo and copied the text to share. It's three stories tall.

1000003147.jpg

The Keep 2023

Lodgepole pine, California pine, abaca paper, and mixed media

Luger made this large scale sculpture from lodgepole pine trunks and a Western white pine tree that was previously growing on the museum's property, but which was removed during the museum's current expansion. The approximaetly twenty-five foot sculpture emulates a radio tower used to emit and receive faraway signals. As an instrument of communication, within a cargo cult context, it is built in the hopes of transmitting messages to the gods or ancestors to send more goods. Within, the context of the exhibition, however, the tower is intended to provoke critical questions about the nature of communication itself, and ask important questions about who is empowered to speak and whose messages remain silent.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.