• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

antenna tuners

I use a Vectronics 300DLP (pre-MFJ). Autotuners seem to be the hot ticket these days.

I like the Vectronics tuner. I dislike the inductor tap selector switch. If you can invest in an autotuner check out MFJ, or the stock Kenwood, ICOM units. IMO they are worth the extra bucks.

I am going to invest in an autotuner simply due to the fact I am lazy and the memory positions make switching from band to band a breeze.

Great topic,i also will be in the market for a tuner so i'm interested in what others have to say.
I'v been told Palstar makes great tuners along with Dentron,what's your opinion on these two tuners? Also which is better auto or manual?
73,Stu

I use a PDC-600T roller inductor and have aquired an FC-757AT to go with my 757GX and 757HD. The auto tuner seems to work well.I am using on my other radios also.

Ameritron ATR-30. Works pretty well; handles the watts. There are nicer ones out there, but this one does the job for the price for me.

right now i'm using a mfj-969 but it seems tobee developing dead spots in the roller inductor, it's been repaired once already and i too am lazy so iv'e been leaning towards the new ldg-200 we'll see. there is an hk usp that i want more at the moment.

Since I only run 100 watts barefoot I just use an older Ten-Tec AT-227 manual tuner.I did manage to burn up the inductor while messing around with rediculessly short antennas on 160m but I rewound a toroid and replaced the inductor switch and never had another problem.I am however working on a high power home brew tuner in anticipation of building a KW plus amp this winter.I prefer the manual tuners because the auto tuners usually do not handle real high power and will not handle a large mismatch.Try and tune a longwire or inverted L antenna on all bands and see what I mean.A manual tuner will work every time.

Ten-Tec 238, 238A, 238B. Highly Recommend. Antenna switch built in and uses L network design for matching. Efficient.

:D been using an LDG AT-200 tuner now for about 6 months on a 135 ft. dipole fed with 20 ft of 450 ohm ladder line into a 1:1 balun then coax. it has no problem with tuning all the way down to 3 mhz. once the frequencies are into the memories tunning only takes a few seconds. it sure beats the hell out of my MFJ 969. :D :D :D
i am using this on a Yaesu 847 with the super control computer program the radio and the tuner are computer controlled

Hello:
Ive had 3 MFJ 989c tuners and I would not recomend them to you if your going to run anything over 500watts.The pvc on the roller inductor gets hot /melts under swra of 3 to 1 or higher,the Vectronics has the same problem.The best impedance matcher is one that has a ceramic roller inductor in a T or modified L section I think.I recomend the Nye Viking MBVA tuner or the X MATCH.I have both,but they are not inexpensive,you can operate into a swr or 16 to 1 all day with these tuners at 1.5kw and do not get hot or having the swr change.The auto tuners are nice look into the LDG brand or Palstar ones they seem to be built nicely and will handle some power,I have an LDG in the mobile with the IC 7000 and the SGC brick kw and works great into my High Q ant system. Good luck om.73 8)

DE-K8PG-Paul CW LIVES :D

Barefoot, with my Drake TR7 stuff: The MN75

With an L7 amp in line: The MN2700

I have a variety of Cubic antenna tuners to use with my Swan/Cubic gear. The ST1A, ST2A and ST2B will each handle 2KW with ease and work well with Cubic's 1500ZA (600w PEP) amps. The ST3A/B/C and the ST5 will handle ~200w PEP; I use these when operating portable or mobile.

Both Cubic and Drake stuff is built like a tank. I have yet to flash over an inductor switch in any of them, even when running at high power.

Also have a few Kenwood tuners (AT130, AT200, 230) which match various Kenwood lineups. They'll handle the output of a stock radio with ease.

Dentron's Super Tuner and Super-Super Tuner are also good, economical choices. As is the MT3000.

Antenna tuners aren't that difficult to build - if one plans on running QRO and can get the parts it's often better to design and construct your own.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.