• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ANTRON 99 REDO ?

Switch Kit

Apr 6, 2005
Any suggestions on redoing the finish on one of these Antron's ? I have one that's 20 years old easy. The fiberglass is lightly fibery. ouch ! Just looking for something fast and easy if possible. Somebody said I could lightly sand it down and clear coat it ?

What is clear coat ? Does it come in a spray can ? and light sanding it ? How so ? With what ? Thanks

Simple.

Use electrical tape, you can get it in a number of colors.

Start at the bottom, overlapping by about half (the middle of the next wrap overlaps half of the last wrap), this way water won't get in. Kinda like the way shingles on a roof work.

Mine has black and green tape to blend in with the trees in the background.

Lasts for years (mine is at about five years) and costs less that 10 bucks.

I wouldn't clear coat, I think it wouldn't protect from UV that dried it up in the first place.

It would hold the fraying fiberglass together, but I think the suggestion I gave above is superior, it's worked fine for me.

The 'other way' is to get a pint bottle of fiberglass resin and hardener - which is about $12. Buy a throw-away $.99 1-inch brush and do each section with a single coat. Let it dry/harder for an hour or so. Sand the ends or wire brush them to insure good electrical contact. Replace the lockwashers as well - maybe a buck or less.

The 'other-other way' is to buy a spray can of clear coat varnish. But this will age faster than the fiberglass resin method and break down. One of the guys on this forum -who is a surfer that repairs his own boards- suggested the fiberglass resin method. He said it will make it good as new by using that method.

BTW-Glad to see 74IN back on the board!

light sanding, and a coat of marine grade Gelcoat.. Same thing they use on composite (fiberglass, Kevlar) canoes, and boats. Would probably be a bit expensive but would be quite durable...

One of the guys on this forum -who is a surfer that repairs his own boards- suggested the fiberglass resin method. He said it will make it good as new by using that method.

Or SexWax?

electrical tape sounds easy and cheapest enough. Thanks (didn't even read about sanding there) thanks for the other ideas as well. I wanted to keep it as cheap as possible.

I got this antenna for a couple of dollars as is , it's a original Antron 99 . (not Solorcon unless they are two of the same ?) I question the electrical tape holding up in the sun and weather ? I have seen that stuff harden and lose it's grip over a period of time.

but in a pinch , and cost effecent , sounds like a great fast easy way to go. Mr F and Rob , sounds like both your ways would be nice to restore , wasn't really looking to spend very much , and if I don't have to sand that nasty fiber glass makes for all the better for me.

Interesting that the electrical tape wouldn't interfear with performance beings that it's usually used for electrical wires from me shorted together. Go figure . Thanks again guys.

I think if I were looking for a cheap/fast fix I'd probably get some clear packing tape, probably only good for a year or two, but easy, cheap, and invisible...

It's up to you, so whatever you are most comfortable with will probably do just fine. I would recommend the fiberglass resin though. It'll be a little more expensive, and a little more trouble, but will last much longer than any tape, etc. If you do decide to do it that way, get the 'slow curing' type resin! Thinning down epoxy will work too. Or if you really want to get fancy, the appropriate size 'heat-shrink' would work well also (that will get expensive real quick! :)).
- 'Doc

how would the rubberized under body spray for vehicles do on those glass antennas ?

how would the rubberized under body spray for vehicles do on those glass antennas ?

A friend used that crap on an old Penetrator, said he'd never do it again, he had to remove it and it wasn't fun... I imagine it would be pretty decent as long as you didn't have to remove it... As soon as he told me what he used I said WTF dude... Think it was some kind of Bed-liner stuff :eek: Also made the antenna pretty damn heavy....

Personally I'd just do it the right way Which would be Gelcoat, only real difference between that and the Fiberglass resin is Gelcoat is formulated for higher UV resistance, I'm up here in the so-called Canoe Country, Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness, or BWCA for short, A fellow I know makes a living reglassing canoes and boats, If you could run into someone like that he could probably do it with left-overs..

But yeah no reason to not do it cheap/free if thats what ya want...

thanks Doc , There you go Mr F , clear packing tape . I can get about 66 yards of that stuff by just under 2 unches wide for about 2.20 cents. Although I bet that glossy black electrical tape might look bad ass if the chrome would clean up on all the fittings .

Like I said guys , got this at a ham/cb type swap meet for 5 bucks. This is the first time I ever seen one all warn out like this one. You rub your fingers on this one , your asking for trouble. Although fixing it up nice with the gelcoat sure would be nice , but at the same time , I look to sell this thing to somebody in need for about 25 or so when I can at least make it safe to handle anyway.

Thanks again , there is some darn good info here .

thanks Doc , There you go Mr F , clear packing tape . I can get about 66 yards of that stuff by just under 2 unches wide for about 2.20 cents. Although I bet that glossy black electrical tape might look bad ass if the chrome would clean up on all the fittings .

Like I said guys , got this at a ham/cb type swap meet for 5 bucks. This is the first time I ever seen one all warn out like this one. You rub your fingers on this one , your asking for trouble. Although fixing it up nice with the gelcoat sure would be nice , but at the same time , I look to sell this thing to somebody in need for about 25 or so when I can at least make it safe to handle anyway.

Thanks again , there is some darn good info here .
If that is the case, i would buy a can of Klear-Kote for $4 and use a wire brush on all of the chrome. Maybe a little steel wool to spiff it up. That way, you can get $30 for it. Or keep it...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.