• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

antron 99

bigred,
i SWEAR by these antennas!

they are so cool.
this new version needs to be beefed up a bit in the hardware dept. and you need to secure the hoop in place with some fishing line, or some other UV resistant rope, but if installed right, your SWR will be 1.2:1 or something like that.
they radiate from the top, and i cant tell you why, but it seemed to grab DX signals amazingly.
i know there's really no way to tell if it was the antenna or the conditions, but whenever there was ANY sort of skip out there, i could talk to whoever i could hear. (well, you know what i mean)
thats a good antenna to me.

i have been involved in many discussions about what kind of antenna it actually is, (lets not start that here gurus.LOL)
and i still dont exactly know, all i know is the thing freakin' works!

anyway, if you decide to get one, PM me. i have a bunch on helpful info on this new version of the astroplane.
later,
LC

bigred222 said:
Lets say Santa were to bring me a fatboy 700 watt base amp for christmas.......
I'd say it was pure proof you were a bad boy all year! Fatboy......lump of coal......piece of dog crap......same thing! :twisted:

loosecannon said:
bigred,
i SWEAR by these antennas!

they are so cool.
this new version needs to be beefed up a bit in the hardware dept. and you need to secure the hoop in place with some fishing line, or some other UV resistant rope, but if installed right, your SWR will be 1.2:1 or something like that.
they radiate from the top, and i cant tell you why, but it seemed to grab DX signals amazingly.
i know there's really no way to tell if it was the antenna or the conditions, but whenever there was ANY sort of skip out there, i could talk to whoever i could hear. (well, you know what i mean)
thats a good antenna to me.

i have been involved in many discussions about what kind of antenna it actually is, (lets not start that here gurus.LOL)
and i still dont exactly know, all i know is the thing freakin' works!

anyway, if you decide to get one, PM me. i have a bunch on helpful info on this new version of the astroplane.
later,
LC

It looks like my poor ol' A99 is finally going to the fiberglass graveyard along with the old Corvette fenders after our recent ice storm. I was going to replace it with an I-Max for my omni, but I think I'm going to give the AP clone a shot, hell it's half the price and I don't really shiv a git if it doesn't talk over the meth-head locals, that's why God and Orr designed quads. (Not really why, but they do suffice in that regard. ;) )

i do have to say PA629, that im told that the imax will beat the top one if the imax is mounted at 30' or higher to the base.
and with the GPK, the imax is a great DX antenna. (without it too)

so, consider the ease of installation, price, and the height you can mount the antenna at.

one thing i will say, is that i believe that in a windy environment, the top one has the advantage because it wraps itself around the mast, with only 4 feet of it extending above the mast.

now that you are totally undecided,
later,
LC
LOL

i think the hoop on the bottom of the astroplane helps make it better at recieving H signals on stations using H/V beams . and the antenna itself has a lower angle of signal radiation/transmission/reception .

BOOTY MONSTER said:
i think the hoop on the bottom of the astroplane helps make it better at receiving H signals on stations using H/V beams.
Nope. You may think so, but that doesn't make it so. Now, if you heard it on the radio or the Internet...... :twisted:

http://members4.boardhost.com/NAO911/msg/1145719688.html
"Regarding the horizontal notations above: This is a vertically polarized antenna, but the presence of some horizontal radiating elements, in my opinion, enhance, in particular, the DX qualities of this very efficient radiator. On the other hand it may be said that this also may cut down on some of the vertical ground wave action in the antenna, as it may have some attenuating characteristics that polarity differences are known to make. This feature in the AP may also account for its quite noise floor operations as well; a factor, which more or less, stands alone by the many consumer accounts of the actions for this unique but very effective antenna."

that quote is the last paragraph in the article linked above by "Marconi" and his whole post is "all take from an electrical point of view" . i dont know if its the same marconi from here at WWRF or some other .

no doubt i am capable of missunderstanding something ,and , the article is written from an "electrical point of view"....... .

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.