• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Any Astro Plane Fans ?

Here are two articles of interests from back in the days when the AstroPlane and the AstroBeam were being produced.

The 1st one below is on the AstroBeam.

The 2nd one is on the AstroPlane. Sorry this one is sideways and upside down. I will fix that and re-post later.

I added a short credit for the Dr. Alva C. Todd who produced the results of this article for Louis Martino.

Attachments

• Avanti articles CB Magazine.pdf
    4.4 MB · Views: 14
  • CB Magazine article on the AstroPlane.pdf
    3.2 MB · Views: 19
Bob I am really happy and totally surprised to hear this report from you. IMO, being from you...this is a real breakthrough in CB antenna understanding.

I see an all new conversation developing around this unique design.

Well. I am not surprised with Bob's experience with the AP, nor with his inclination to stay with it over a 5/8 wave. Exactly my experience.

My ventures back to 5/8 antennas since the AP have been without luster. Not because they don't work well, but because they do not work well enough to overcome the advantages I found in size, weight, and ease of installation for the Astroplane. To be a better vertical antenna than the AP would, IMO, require a seriously good antenna.

As far as I have experienced, only the much bigger V4k rivals this one, and, yet, it loses points on sheer size and somewhat fidgety tuning.

Reactions: Tib2K and Marconi
The curved lower hoop

When all 4 of these are assembled you have a 93.375 circumference.

That is exactly the same measurement as the short vertical listed below that goes from the hoop to the top of the base clamp

IMG_20170707_072759.jpg

Last edited:
The vertical tubes

Main vertical: TTL length (138.875) Top to center of hole (this does not include the thickness of the 4 1/8 stainless steel radials the washers or the screw that is used to attach them)

5/8" x 48" tube has a slot on one end detent @ 2.5" to stop tube 2
1/2" x 48" tube no slot and no swedge but inserts into tube 1 2.5"
1/2" x 48" tube swedge end inserts 2.25" into tube 2 and has a flat end with hole to attach the hoop.

Note:
the bottom of tube 1 stops at the bottom of the base clamp with the top of tube 2 inside stopping at the top of the base clamp.

Short vertical: TTL Length (93.375) Top to center of hole
1/2" x 48" tube no slot and no swedge
1/2" x 48" tube swedge end inserts 2.25" into tube 1 and has a flat end with hole to attach the hoop.

Note: the top of tube 1 stops at the top of the base clamp

IMG_20170707_073520.jpg

Last edited:
@HomerBB

Are these numbers close to the ones you used to build your home brew Astroplane?
I think somewhere back toward the start of this thread the spec sheet I used is posted.
Unless someone other than me has translated metric to inches the specs Victor Papa, hello VP, just posted looks lile those I used.

Hi,

@ Marconi: Very interesting articles, thank you so much.

@Tib2K: Very cool. Thank you for the photos, its like in old times.

@HomerBB: Found this plan serval times in the Internet.

So, I have also thought about the long version of the astroplane without hat. I personally know and remember 5 installations that have existed for over 30 years, 3 in germany and 2 in denmark. Maybe there was a European version of avantis astroplane.
Has anyone tried the differences with 4NEC2?

This is a very interesting antenna. Next week I will build one on my own. I will report.

At the moment, I think about the topic of "co-inductive antenna" and how it works. I will find out how it works.

73 Victor.

@Marconi:

What I do not understand in the article of the CB magazine under point 6 is, where the antenna is to be mounted insulated.
I understand it so that the support rod at the footpoint is isolated and not grounded and the support rod not more than 6 meters long. The support rod ist part of the antenna.
Is this correct?

I have a 7.5 meter high support rod in the garden which is fixed between 2 wooden piles. Is this a good base for an Astroplane?

73 Victor.

@VP
Avanti recommended that the antenna have a metal mast at least ~3m below the bottom ring. Some modeling of the antenna indicates that ~6m would be better. Your mast will be a very good height, however, the higher the better. It is about minimum conducting mast lengths below the ring that matters. Yours is fine.

That makes the loop 29-3/4" diameter, or 30" seeing the math goes a little over the 3/4" mark - 29.8415518"

Right Homer. I use 30" diameter for the hoop on my A/P and Old Top One models. When I add the wire lengths for each of the 30 wires I use, my circumference totals 94" inches.

Reactions: HomerBB

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.