• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Any mod for RD16HHF1 in Cobra 200 GTL ?

Pilsener

Mar 28, 2008
Does anyone have a mod for Cobra 200 GTL so that the notorious RD16HHF1 can be replaced with another type of transistor ?

I have found that usually turning down the bias a lot lower then where the factory has it adjusted will make it last in there. I think they just have it turned way too hot to last. I havent seen anything that is easy to do to replace it with. You can use the ERF2030, but you have to bend the legs because the pinout is not the same, and it doesnt gain you anything. I would say stick with the stock part.

The manual says to adjust RV21 to a current of 1,3 A.
What's your recommendation for setting the current ?

And will I lose much output power by decreasing the current to your recommended level ?

The manual says to adjust RV21 to a current of 1,3 A.
What's your recommendation for setting the current ?

And will I lose much output power by decreasing the current to your recommended level ?

I ended up turning one down to about 200 or 300 ma for a customer, and it seems to work just fine. I've often wondered if the 1.3A factory recommendation was a typo, and its supposed to be 130ma....

I think mine went out once because of being set to high but the other times it was result of static. Both the times it went out as result of static I was not home to disconect the antenna when a storm rolled in and when I got home the RD16HHF1 was fried.

I think I need some tips here.

I have now replaced the RD16HHF1 and adjusted current as told.
But I still get no output power.

The carrier signal is getting weaker and weaker as I follow it towards the output stage.
The 2SC2290's seems ok when measured.

Any ideas where to look ?

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.