• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Any other CW OP's here?

2CO3026

Mar 14, 2009
Cornpach, IL
Since this section of the forum is dedicated to CW and other digital modes, I thought I’d post something about CW, since I’ve not seen much discussion of the mode here. Simply put, CW is great!

Please let’s not start a pro-code/no-code discussion. Instead, if there are any of you who enjoy CW as I do, let’s maintain that level of conversation.

I’ve been an avid CW operator for around 40 years. I remember as a kid, I hated having to learn it to get my license. Once I started actually using it on the air, I found it is almost magical in its pure and simple nature, and I was soon hooked.

Morse code is almost like another language. I’ve had a discussion with a professor at a major university who taught a course on language development about whether it is, or is not, considered such. We came to the conclusion that it could be. Like learning any foreign language, the initial process to proficiency can be daunting, but it’s not as difficult as one may think.

Just about all my operating time on the ham bands is CW these days. Adding to its allure is that its historical significance is second to none, as modes go. Its ability to “get through” when some other modes cannot is proven, and that makes it attractive (QRP, or low power, is do-able even in these times of solar cycle doldrums). And it’s just plain relaxing after a long, busy day. There are so many positives that I can’t begin to point them all out.

My speeds range from 35 words per minute (wpm) to 5 wpm. I enjoy using my electronic keyers, my bug, and my straight keys. I’m a member of FISTS and SKCC, and although I don’t collect awards or chase numbers, it’s fun to exchange numbers with fellow members of those clubs.

I’m finding that now there’s no longer a requirement for learning Morse code to get a license, many new hams are enjoying the challenge of learning it just for fun. They’re finding that the magic of ham radio really manifests itself on CW.

Does anyone else share my passion?

-

cw

I enjoy it, retired radio operator from the military here, 22 years pounding brass. Still use it on 30 and 17 meters. Language in itself, since I learned it at 15.

DOCTOR/795

I enjoy it, retired radio operator from the military here, 22 years pounding brass. Still use it on 30 and 17 meters. Language in itself, since I learned it at 15.

DOCTOR/795

Excellent on the CW, and thank you for your service, sir. Those are two FB bands. Thirty is one of my favorites, too.

-

It's been some time since I did any CW other than to casually listen/notice it in passing. I think I've 'played' with about every method of sending CW, straight key through various 'bugs'/keyers, etc. Have heard everything from some really beautiful code, to somethings I don't even want to think about. I've found that there's the 'normal' or accepted timing for characters, and then there are some variations that are sooo much easier to listen to. Personal preference I guess.
Learned on a punched paper tape thingy, can't remember the name of it, about the size of a large film projector (some kind of '_ _ _ _ -graph'). Amazing how distracting 'plain text' is after learning on random 5 letter code groups! After some point, you start 'thinking' in code, if that makes sense. Your hand sort of 'twitches' to respond with whatever type of key you're currently using, kind'a.
Did too much of it at one time and another and got 'burned out' with it. (Not in the military, but associated with them.)
One'a these days... maybe I'll clean up the paddles and do some more. Don't hold your breath, but maybe...
- 'Doc

CW OPRS

HELLO OM.

IAM 99% CW HERE , FOR 37 YRS EVEN OPERATED A BIT OF CW IN THE NAVY IN EARLY
70S-ITS THE ONLY WAY TO COMMUICATE EASILY-MAKE EASY RIGS/RCVRS.
I ELMER CW CLASSES 4/5 TIMES A YR HERE.IF YOU DONT KNOW CW YOU DONT KNOW
RADIO THE "BASICS "OF IT ALL.

K8PG PAUL-CW IS AMATEUR RADIO !!!
QRQ-25-83 WPM-7.023KHZ. MON.-WEDS.-SAT. 03:00 ALL ARE WELCOME
1982 O.O.- ( NO PC KEYING OR COPY ALLOWED-ONLY BRAIN POWER)
RETIRED USN- SPEC. OPS.1977-1994-TRY IT -
PAUL-ET/EOD/ND/CM-K8PG

Many thanks to all who've responded so far. I'm glad I'm not the only one here who is a "CW nut."

Doc, that would have undoubtedly been an "Instructograph." Wait... hmmm... that is, I think that was its name. Funny, as much as I love Morse, memories of that contraption almost runs shivers up my spine. It even smelled funny, hi hi. And the sound it made! Oh my... I think that thing would scare away prospective op's these days, rather than encourage 'em.

-

Yep - Instructograph. We used a similar device in Navy Radioman "A" school. It was called a "Boehme Keyer". Don't know if the punched tapes were interchangeable between one type and the other.

I've been using CW just about exclusively for 50 years.

I leared the code enough to pass the 5wpm test. I didnt' find it particularly difficult to learn (took me about a month or so), but I didn't enjoy it. I had more fun learning to do different digital modes. I haven't touched the code since I took the test, and I don't even own a keyer. Lately I've wondered if I shouldn't go back and relearn it and give it a try again since I can do just about anything else "radio related" in my shack. If I relearned it, would I do it often enough to get good? I don't know, but at least I could say I can do "all" of the digital modes again (well almost, Pactor 2 & 3 price has got to come down a bit!) :)

Maybe if find a cheap keyer at a swap meet...

I first learned code back in 1988 on Rat Shack cassette tapes, got through my 5 wpm test for my novice license, stuck with it for a while and got my copy speed up to around 6 to 8 wpm, hit a Plat toe and couldn't get to the 13 wpm needed to past my general.
Kids came along, had to sell off my radio equipment to finance the births, and fell out of the hobby all together for 18 years...

Now I'm slowly getting my code skills back, haven't applied enough time or effort to it yet, to really get back on the air, but I have a new Vibroplex straight key sitting in front of me, and a code learning CD in the laptop, I just have to apply the time and it shouldn't take too long to get back into the CW groove.

I don't chase awards either, but I do have an SKCC number for when I do get back up and running......

The code was easy to learn until the 20 wpm. It took me 13 times to pass the test and I always missed it by one. The F.C. C. should give me a refund now since they did away with the code on the tests. I've been a cw operator since the early 90's and still do it today. I don't use the built in code reader on the radio because I feel like I'm cheating myself. I run in the range of 13-15 wpm.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.