• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anybody run steel here in the base?

Crazy_D

Aug 22, 2006
Is anyone running steel tubes in the base here? I find it is so much cleaner than running pills, and the smell of steel tubes warming up the room is great. Anyone got any pics of internals of custom made steel boxes?

Crazy_D said:
yes, Steel.

Or in non-11 meter terms, ceramic/metal power triodes or tetrodes

Tell me, how did they ever get to be called steel tubes anyway?? :? The external anode ceramic types are NOT made of steel but rather a silverplated c o p p e r ( damn filter)alloy for heat conduction. There is some tungstin inside and a beryllium oxide in the ceramic but there is no steel in them.

QRN said:
Tell me, how did they ever get to be called steel tubes anyway??

Oh that's easy......

Crazy_D said:
Or in non-11 meter terms......

I think you know where I'm going with this.

Now before anyone freaks out too much with some "elitist" crap, I feel the "steel tube" nomenclature has always made CB operators sound like fools. The CB radio community's acceptance of poor engineering practices and terms have made the hobby I love a laughing stock in the radio community. So please excuse me if I don't sit by without comment.

Have you ever noticed that the most respected people on this forum are the ones who speak intelligently? Justin, DTB, Nomad Radio, bob85, Kale, Paws, freecell, Moleculo, and to some degree, even myself are an example. Everyone of us a CB radio operator (and some of them even HAMS).

To be fair, there were a few tubes made of steel. I don't know anyone who is actually running one however. Crazy_D had it right when he said:

Crazy_D said:
......ceramic/metal power triodes or tetrodes

There, my RANT for the week! ;)

Yeah Master Chief, I sort of knew the answer before I asked it but I was just looking for someone to say it. ;) I spent 22 years in the commercial broadcast business and used all sorts of those type of tubes, 4CX250B, 3CX3000A7, 4CX5000A, 4CX10,000D and 4CX20,000A and not I nor any of my collegues in the business has ever heard them called steel tubes. Ceramic or ceramic/metal yes,but steel no.Sort of like saying a class C linear amp. ;) There just ain't no such thing.

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
Steel tubes:
0660_1.JPG

I Was looking for the venerable 6L6, but didn't have time to find a picture.

Rich

QRN said:
OK Rich,you know what I meant. :roll: Besides those are called shielded tubes not steel tubes. ;) You want to get fancy look for some Nuvistors.

No, shielded tubes are usually glass, with a metal shield that slips over them.

Rich

Hamin' X said:
QRN said:
OK Rich,you know what I meant. :roll: Besides those are called shielded tubes not steel tubes. ;) You want to get fancy look for some Nuvistors.

No, shielded tubes are usually glass, with a metal shield that slips over them.

Rich

Yep, with the special socket to lock the spring loaded shields in place.You could get some tubes in either regular glass or with the metal shielding for certain applications.Lets just think about external anode ceramic power tubes which is what is generally, albeit erroneously, refered to as "steel" tubes. ;)

Master Chief said:
..I feel the "steel tube" nomenclature has always made CB operators sound like fools...

Steel tubes, pills, fighting sticks, caps, maul box, swing box, linyer, alt, SWRS....the list goes on for days....

Oh wait....the best one yet, "volt", used as a verb.

"I'm gonna volt that box".

I laugh every time I hear that one.

Yeah, they sound pretty silly....but they're just nicknames....who really cares?

IMHO, "HAM" sounds every bit as silly as all of the above terms.

It doesn't bother me in the least what words one uses..it's when they don't know that a "pill" is a transistor the discussion goes rapidly downhill.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.