• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ANYONE AFFECTED BY THE SEVERE WEATHER/BLIZZARD ??

Not sure about the US, but up here on the west coast of Canada we have been having an endless series of windstorms with near hurricane force winds. Power here went out at 7pm Christmas day and is still out. We might have power restored by this evening, or it may stay off into tomorrow..... nobody really knows !

Luckily we are highly prepared for such events with multiple generators, and reserve supplies of gas, food, water etc. Power outages running into several days are not uncommon up here.....we usually get a few every winter.

All my radio gear is working fine and all my antennas have (so far) stayed up in the air. Not finding much time to get on there and talk though !

We have the same situation here. HUGE thunder storms with much lightning. We don't lose power often, but when it does go out it's usually for a couple of days or more.
Like you we have two gas-powered generators and plenty of fuel.

Upper 40's in Central Pennsylvania and Rain,I'm so ready for Snow and Colder temperatures, it's Winter Time............Just like the old commercial of where's the Beef(Wendy's in the 80's) mine is:
Where's the Snow...............

73's
Coming from the world of Maintenance, Snow means nothing but Hard, Expensive work and broke down equipment. At 73 YO my old bones and muscles ache from a life time of taking care of other peoples problems so I would care less if I never see snow again. Especially when I have elderly Female members of the family who are too cheap to buy and fix equipment but think because you come from maintenance you can fix all their problems while they look out the window at you Freezing.

Into day four of our power outage up here. Still no certainty as to when it will come back on as we keep getting more huge winds that undo the repairs as fast as the power company makes them. Fun times
I hate to press"like" for a post like this. I know how tough it must be. Hang in there.. Keep warm. Things will get better soon.

- J.J. 399

Into day four of our power outage up here. Still no certainty as to when it will come back on as we keep getting more huge winds that undo the repairs as fast as the power company makes them. Fun times.
I know how you feel that happened to us years ago in this town for 4-5 days. That's when I decided I had to have a generator to run my well pump. Life's a bummer if you can't flush the toilet or draw water. And keep the fridge and freezer cold.

Into day four of our power outage up here. Still no certainty as to when it will come back on as we keep getting more huge winds that undo the repairs as fast as the power company makes them. Fun times.
We have PG&E up here, (Pacific Greed and Extortion) company.
I will say that since they were found liable in several wildfire cases, they have been going underground with the service up here.
This has improved the reliability of the electric service for us.
Hope they get you up and going soon.

Jeff

Reactions: whiteastro
Well the lights finally came back on at 3pm this afternoon !
These kinds of events happen fairly often in winter up here, so we are pretty prepared. The island I live on is quite literally at the end of the power line that runs all the way up the mainland coast from Vancouver. That's around 140 miles of line, all on wooden poles and mostly running through thick forest and along windy shorelines . Along the way it passes beneath several very deep ocean inlets, and for the last 20 or 30 miles it is helicopter access only to maintain it. So it's not too surprising that we get many outages.

I can run the well pump off the larger of my two generators, so we have cold water during outages, but I sure was happy to have a hot shower today !

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.