• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

anyone else tried a monkeymade???

BIONIC_TEXAN88

Aug 1, 2005
TEXAS PINEYWOODS
I got a monkeymade mm9 today that I wanted to try out. Never had one before. I got a new quad mag mount on my f150 to use it or my 102". I put on the monkey and with no tuning have a 1.3 across the band. Talked to a buddy of mine and had a good 20 miles s5 report running barefoot with my ax144 president. I am impressed other than the stiff, stiff stinger that comes with it. it stays damn near vertical at 80 mph. any comments?? (pics coming soon).

I used one for a brief time on a tri-mount , matched out fine with very little tuning and didn't change enough with 400 watts pep to worry about anything. HEAVY DUTY to say the least ! I liked the solid stinger and that it didn't whip around as much as so many others do. The antenna performed as good as any decent antenna would. (IM no expert) I only used it for a few weeks , it was just a trial run so to speak. IM basically a low profile Wilson kind of guy. I personally thought the antenna and the magmount looked like total shit and was surely an eye sore to me and attracted way to much attention for my liking. Other then that , I'd say it was a fine RX and TX'ing antenna. This is kind of why I've never owned a 10K , it's just to much for the big city and I personally don't want the attention they seem to bring .

My son has one on his F-150 with a passengers side mirror mount. SWR is down where it should be. He likes the way it looks and works, I think it looks ridiculous, but to each his own. I'll stick with my Wilson 5000's.

I had one on a big truck. It seemed to work pretty well, but was a heavy antenna that required a strong mount.
The only negative thing - it tends to fill with water.

lords said:
what fills with water the stinger is so tight on this thing there ain't no room for water...

On mine, the stinger didn't fit that tight. I tried sealing it with RTV, etc....finally just drilled a small (1/16") drain hole.
Other than a small issue like that, the antenna seemed pretty good.

i had one on my pick up for a little while.............

was an ok antenna <in my opinion not worth the money theyre getting for them tho> i

its now residing in the back of my closet with all the other antennas that i've discovered arent as good as a ss102"

scott

I've heard about that drill a drain hole on these before. Maybe maker should just put one there from the get go ?

i got one.it has 1.1-1.2 swr seen about 1-2 sunit increase
on both tx and rx over my wilson 5k mag mount.and that
was on a single 5inch mag mount..silly me.good antenna
but kinda high priced and needs a good hd mount

Wait till' the spray freezes on the coil and it becomes a giant Popsicle, bad match.....REALY bad match. Stick with a 5' power stick, it will blow the "out of work machinists" bad habit away both TX and RX and be easier to controll, besides being less likely to get ripped off. Monkey made.....the name says it all

skirtchaser said:
Wait till' the spray freezes on the coil and it becomes a giant Popsicle, bad match.....REALY bad match. Stick with a 5' power stick, it will blow the "out of work machinists" bad habit away both TX and RX and be easier to controll, besides being less likely to get ripped off. Monkey made.....the name says it all

i guess if it gets that cold here in southeast tx, I will put the whip on. ;)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.