• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anyone have info on the Courier Galaxy?

70cst

Dec 4, 2009
CourierGalaxy003.jpg

Its my understanding this radio was made in 90-92 and used the same board as the Cobra 142. It is suppose to be a fairly rare model. Does anybody else have additional info on this model? :confused:

Reactions: Drenalin

I use to have a Galaxy and I was sorry I sold it...after I heard it on the air. It was a great radio with very good receive. Maybe the best mobile I ever owned. I think it was about the same at the Cobra 148 GTL.

I use to have a Galaxy and I was sorry I sold it...after I heard it on the air. It was a great radio with very good receive. Maybe the best mobile I ever owned. I think it was about the same at the Cobra 148 GTL.

Thanks...you are the first person to have any experience with this radio. I am guessing this radio is a little rare.

I remember seeing the verison that looks like the Cobra 148 GTL. That verison i did have for a very short peroid of time in the mid 1990s. It worked great and was exactly the same as a Cobra 148 GTL!!!!

I remember seeing the verison that looks like the Cobra 148 GTL. That verison i did have for a very short peroid of time in the mid 1990s. It worked great and was exactly the same as a Cobra 148 GTL!!!!

Someone posted a LINK and this model was manufactured 90-92. Thanks for your input. I don't see this model very often which is why I aam asking.

But as they say: Just because it's rare doesn't mean it's valuable. ;)

70CST -

There are two versions of the Courier Galaxy. Both were made by Uniden for Courier. The first model had the same circuit as the Cobra 140/142, but the circuit boards in the Courier were slightly different. It had an MB8734 PLL chip (unexpandable). These radios were real dogs, and because it was supposed to be Courier's top-of-the-line AM/SSB mobile, it was quickly discontinued and replaced by the "B" model which was exactly the same as the 148GTL...EXCEPT ... it also used the 8734 PLL chip. Overall, the later model is a really good rig. Usually low-priced.

***Correct me if I'm wrong but I understand that the 8719 PLL is a drop-in replacement for the 8734. Can anyone tell me if this is right or not ?? ***

Last edited:
Reactions: Drenalin
70CST -

There are two versions of the Courier Galaxy. Both were made by Uniden for Courier. The first model had the same circuit as the Cobra 140/142, but the circuit boards in the Courier were slightly different. It had an MB8734 PLL chip (unexpandable). These radios were real dogs, and because it was supposed to be Courier's top-of-the-line AM/SSB mobile, it was quickly discontinued and replaced by the "B" model which was exactly the same as the 148GTL...EXCEPT ... it also used the 8734 PLL chip. Overall, the later model is a really good rig. Usually low-priced.

***Correct me if I'm wrong but I understand that the 8719 PLL is a drop-in replacement for the 8734. Can anyone tell me if this is right or not ?? ***

I guess I will need to open it up and take a peek Thanks for the info.

I had a Fanon Courier Galaxy SSB radio back around 1990. It was only my second radio but for the life of me I can't even remember what it looked like. I wouldn't know it, even if I saw it. I was using a Sadelta power/echo mic with it and everybody said I was loud as hell. I can't even remember what ever happend to that radio either. Getting old rules! I do remember what the Sadelta mic looked like though. Pretty cool looking for a mic.

I had a Fanon Courier Galaxy SSB radio back around 1990. It was only my second radio but for the life of me I can't even remember what it looked like. I wouldn't know it, even if I saw it. I was using a Sadelta power/echo mic with it and everybody said I was loud as hell. I can't even remember what ever happend to that radio either. Getting old rules! I do remember what the Sadelta mic looked like though. Pretty cool looking for a mic.

Pic on first post...

Pic on first post...

I saw the pic but it didn't really ring a bell. The only thing that I kinda remember about it by looking at that pic was maybe the USB, LSB and AM LED's. Was that the only 40 channel model SSB mobile radio Courier/Galaxy did? If so, then I guess that's the same one I had too.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.