• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anyone know about the HLF-2500 by Gates Amp

videorov

Aug 24, 2008
It uses a 4cx3000A tube.
It uses a 6CL6 input amplifier and a 4cx250B driver amp.
Has anyone owned one of these and did they have any problems that
I should know about. I found one but not sure if it is are worth
messing with.

If it is similar to an HFL-1000 or HFL-3000, that is one kick ass amp. Those were designed to be driven with 100 milliwatts.

They were also designed for unusally low distortion using inverse feedback.

I hope you also got or can get the power supply. With luck it will be a single phase type.

If you do AM the easiest way to use that amp is to drive it with a signal generator like an HP-8640B or similar. There used to be a guy on 75 meters who did this with an HFL-1000. For single slimeband I'd use an attenuator on the exciter.

There will be a few hoops to jump through setting up R.F. switch-through relays. Nothing really difficult.

Reactions: Jay Mojave
HLF-2500

I thought Ive heard they had some problem with drift because of the
driver amps. Im not sure if that was true about that model.
Yes the manual says it only take milliwatts to drive it, I guess because
how that driver amp is setup. Yes you don't see many amps that can put out 2500watts that your can drive with milliwatts.
I wonder if I cut my TS-2000 back to say 1 to 5 watts how it would work with it on SSB.

No conozco el hfl2500
Tengo un hfl3000 en uso en todas las bandas desde 1.8 a 30 mhz
Trabaja en Blu con un exitador rf131 o un sg70
Lo modifique y trabaja en ab1 SSB o en clase C AM
El modulador dos tubos qbl5/3500 en ab1 modulan sobrado al 4cx3000 con 4kw de entrada

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.