• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anyone still use a Antron-99 for 17-10 meters?

I mounted a moonraker 4 on a chimney once and had no issues..
As for using an out of band antenna just use a f**king tuner!

A99 is my only antenna and it works great on 11 meters. With a tuner I use it on 10, 12, 15, 17 and have not made any contacts on 20 yet . I love this antenna.

I am asking an honest question here; will the A99 really load up on 10-15 without the use of a tuner? I know 17 is a stretch as the thing is very short for that band. I am looking to put up a quick vertical and can get one of these quickly.tune

I tried one for a while.

No ground radials and a rf choke at feed point.

It does work 10/11/12/and 15 meters no antenna coupler required.

I never tried 17 but I did sweep it with the mfj 259 b, something like a 3:1 on 17 meters.

The more coax you have for a feed line the better the match. At the transceiver end any way.:whistle:

The imax 2k was a better match on 10/12/ and 15 meters than the a99 is.
They both perform about the same.

A lot of locals use them in this Neck of the woods for checking into the local 10 meter nets.

If the price is right try it, can not hurt anything.

My favourite subject,lmao.

I wouldn't even use one on 11m nevermind anywhere else, but each to their own i guess, only thing it can harm is all the televisions in your street, lol. They are highly efficient in that department, but if its between that or nothing i guess there's always tv to watch, taking into account none of your neighbours has one, lol.

Please explain why?

Because there is far superior antennas cheaper, like a Sirio tornado 27 for a start, they are also notorious for tvi/rfi and static, they are not isolated from mast,not provided with radials,they are notorious for going threadbare, it has very lossy coil system,they are nowhere near as windproof as people make out, they will work dx in good conditions,so will a coathanger, see how good they work at solar minimum, they are poorly constructed and soldered by welders or blow torches,

and as for using them multi band, hmm, they are pretty lousy on the band they are designed for, god only knows how inefficient they are elsewhere, but hey, don't let me put you off them, as far as i'm concerned the more people using them the better, less competition for me,lol.

a dummy load has a good swr over a wide bandwidth too, but i wouldn't be mounting one on my mast, i've probably missed a few drawbacks,

i always hear the same argument for them, i worked here or there on it, big deal, i worked Australia on 18w out a sirio hp4000, but i certainly wouldn't be putting it on my roof,mast or tower, it was just down to good conditions, judge an antenna in bad propagation times not good times.

you could take a piece of coax cable, turn it into a T2LT and it will outperform an a99, mounted on a fibreglass mast or hung from a tree it will whup its ass, time after time. a T2LT is coaxial 1/2 wave version of the Sirio gainmaster, the way the Bigstick should have been made, and it doesn't need radials to be efficient as its a centre fed dipole that is both isolated and choked, nor does it need impedance matching. it also has a far superior radiation angle for dx.

not sure it will be as multiband though as i don't believe in ATU's,

I can only assume the i in 9.9Dbi refers to idiot as a reference point, because only an idiot would believe any vertical non colinear antenna will have anywhere near that gain.Unless your target radiation angle is aimed at worms or clouds, and I ain't convinced there's many of them on CB or any other band.

hey, don't let me put you off them, as far as i'm concerned the more people using them the better, less competition for me,lol.
It in no way would be the primary antenna, that's the job of my inverted V fan dipole and Hex beam.
Thanks for your canid answer, I agree with you on most of what your saying. I did take the antenna, after all it was free. I will play with it this summer or give it away to someone.

Got a Antron 99 installed temp to a 5 ft pole drove into the ground. (See picture below.)
Swr is perfect just as the manual states on CH 20 CB. With my Kenwood Ts-2000's auto tuner I can use the A-99 from 17-10 meters. Although at this height performance is not so good.
Wanting to mount it on my 40ft antenna tower but the only place for it is above my
Cushcraft A148-10S 10 element vertical 2 meter yagi.
I have enough mast coming through the Cushcraft yagi to connect the Antron 99 to so mounting isn't my concern. (See my picture below.)
Although the A 99 would be around a foot from the boom of the Cushcraft yagi.
What would the A 99 do to the performance of the Cushcraft yagi?
I guess I wouldn't know unless I tried it. The Cushcraft yagi is working perfectly now with a great Swr curve and I would hate to loose performance by adding the Antron 99 above it.
I may be able to lower the Cushcraft yagi down some on the mast but I cant go too much because my Sirio Sy 27-3 horizontal beam is mounted underneath. My Sirio yagi is also working perfectly now as it sits.
I also have to think about the idea of having 3 antennas on a mast coming out of a tower. It may be a bit much with the A99 flapping in the wind on top.
Although I had a Imax 2000 up above the Sirio beam before the Imax broke. I put up the Cushcraft beam in its place.

Attachments

• ANTRON 99.jpg
    ANTRON 99.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 324
  • TOWER.jpg
    TOWER.jpg
    580.6 KB · Views: 271
Last edited:
How much resonant range is an A99 capable of...if one just moves the tuning rings from the bottom to the top?

Can one make the antenna truly resonant anywhere much outside of the CB range of frequencies just by moving the rings? I'm not talking about workable range...I'm referring to tunable resonance.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.