• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anyone use 220??

bluestallion

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
May 13, 2008
Was wondering if anyone out there uses the 220 band? Me and few friends are looking into the band. Heard it operates close to the 2mter band. I know not many use it, which is why we are looking into it, cuz all the 2meter repeaters are always busy.

Was wondering if anyone out there uses the 220 band? Me and few friends are looking into the band. Heard it operates close to the 2mter band. I know not many use it, which is why we are looking into it, cuz all the 2meter repeaters are always busy.

That's 222-225 MHz - pretty close to twice the frequency of 2M. Some activity in the Puget Sound region.

1.25 meters ( 220 band ) works quite well...
Mostly like 2 meters..

What holds many back is they often have to buy a radio just to use 220..

I have the Alinco DR 235 ... It works Very Good..
Yes in using 220 it is almost like a more exclusive club (sort of speak)

Honestly I'm surprised the FCC hasn't reallocated the band. I'm a few days short of 25 years as a ham and it's never been a popular band anywhere I've lived and I have never used it or even owned a radio for the band.

I started off with 2m and 440 equipment though, just never 220. There are also not a lot of options for new equipment for that band except from Alinco and Jetstream.

Honestly I'm surprised the FCC hasn't reallocated the band. I'm a few days short of 25 years as a ham and it's never been a popular band anywhere I've lived and I have never used it or even owned a radio for the band.

I started off with 2m and 440 equipment though, just never 220. There are also not a lot of options for new equipment for that band except from Alinco and Jetstream.

The FCC did sell the bottom 2 MHZ (220-222 MHZ) to UPS who never used it.

I use 220. My area has one repeater, and a second should be on the air in a couple weeks. With the Wouxun series of radios on the market (there is a 220 version) 220 is making a comeback. Some areas have lots of activity, others not so much.

220 MHz is kind of a catch 22 situation. Not popular so there is not much gear for it and there is not much gear for the band because it is not that popular. If the band was a worldwide allocation you would see a lot more gear produced for it but with it being primarily just a US/Canada allocation the Asian manufacturers aren't going to put money into such a small market.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.